• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Ren89

Starter motor!

Ren89

Hi, is it worth changing the fat starter motor to the smaller one? I bought it off ebay says it is for 205 gti, been having starter problems it sometimes turns over, clicks then nothing just fuel pump priming, I have replaced the wiring from solenoid to the brown plug which helps to begin with but problem remains. 

Cheers Craig. 

DSC_0023.JPG

stewal

Craig, not sure what the other one is but I believe the Peugeot 306 starter fits and is a good upgrade because it spins faster and is more robust. Mine has one and it has always managed to catch even with a ropey battery.

cheers

steve

Ren89

Hi mate thanks for the reply, which 306 starter did you fit on yours? not really sure on what to get. I have just ordered a Valeo starter for 205 gti so hopefully that works better. 

The smaller one in the picture is one I got off ebay but I'm not keen on it, I have two of the old bosch ones but neither of them work properly. 

barneys66

I know it's a bit late now, but I bought this 2kw Valeo VS140 off eBay (for £20 delivered).

Some fitment info in the link below.

DamirGTI

I have Mitsubishi starter from a 206 GTi on my 205 ... it's there for more than 10 years now and no complains , works excellent . 

Try to run a jumper wire all the way from the fuse box directly to the starter solenoid , then also have a thick gauge wire to jump between the battery positive to the starter motor - use one of the battery jumper cables for this .

Do this one by one and see if it gets any better by doing one or another test ..

Also , could be (intermittently) faulty ignition barrel ... if you have a spare one , try to test replace it too .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

davemar

I changed to a smaller starter motor several years ago and it hasn't failed me yet. The older large ones didn't seem very reliable in comparison.

I also added a relay for the starter solenoid as the key switch struggled to pass enough current on its own.

Ren89

How did you fit the relay for the starter? 

davemar

I took the wire from the ignition key, and connected it to the coil of the relay, with the other pin of the coil going to ground. The switch part of the relay goes between the starter solenoid and +Ve battery via a 30A fuse. I've mounted the relay near the battery holder on a DIY bracket, so it sits under the battery.

Does that make sense?