• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz7612

EW10J4S VAG 2.0TFSI coil packs?

Gaz7612

Hi all,

I'm looking to run coil on plug coil packs on my EW10J4S engine conversion (OMEX 710 ecu)

Would I be able to run VAG 2.0 TFSI coil packs on this engine with correct wiring loom?

I'm also looking for recomendations for fuel injectors and fuel rail to suit the EW10J4S engine with a Rotrex C30-94 mounted to the side of it!!

Thanks again everyone for the help

Gaz

Andy

The critical piece of information that you need is the architecture of the coilpack. In other words, are these coils TTL or just 3 wire ‘dumb’ coils. The ECU will need to know!

welshpug

why do people want unreliable vw stuff?

• Like 2

Gaz7612
7 hours ago, welshpug said:

why do people want unreliable vw stuff?

It was just an idea I was thinking about. I've also got a set of gti6 coil packs but they don't fit without modifications.

I think I'll either stay with the standard EW10J4S coil pack or look at fitting something like a Ford one with HT leads.

Gaz

Andy

Ford Edis2 plus bespoke leads work well and are cheap. Advantage of individual coils is sequential plug firing , so is worth the effort.. I have a spare set of S16 coils but, like the Gti6, probably will not fit without modification. 

Tom Fenton

Personally unless there is a very good reason not to, why would you not retain the standard coil pack that fits perfectly on the head?

petert

Toyota Yaris coils have become very popular, as they’re reliable.

wicked
On 4/2/2020 at 10:15 AM, Tom Fenton said:

Personally unless there is a very good reason not to, why would you not retain the standard coil pack that fits perfectly on the head?

With boost you need a strong spark.

Nice write up: https://www.50ignite.com/blog/technical-blog/coils-aint-coils/

And stronger is better: https://www.50ignite.com/blog/technical-blog/article-3-back-to-back-testing-of-370z-coils-re-co/

Tom Fenton

Ah get out of the 70's, we are not talking about ancient wet single coils that could not light a fart, modern coilpacks are perfectly well up to the job, I've used wasted spark coilpacks on a 250bhp 1300 Mini turbo, my 204bhp 1600 205 turbo, and Pauls 252bhp 1900 205 turbo.

wicked

I ran 225bhp with wasted spark on my tct as well; sure it works, but doesn't rule out that it cannot be better than that..... 

petert

Oh well, that’s the end of my Yaris coils. I’ll stick with my M&W cdi and coils in any case. 

speaksgeek

I've got Yaris coils on the EW. They've been fine, but power is relatively low. It was easy for me, as I have a yaris to steal from to test fit.

After quite a lot of reading the R35 coils seem to be the way to go, for reliability of the coil, the connector, and the stalks come in a few lengths to make fitting pretty easy.

This is a pretty good video for anyone interested in proper testing 

SootySport

If you do go for the VW coil packs, make sure it’s the Bosch Red versions, they are reliable.  Even Delphi can’t produce a reliable spark in their oe version.
Im speaking from experience of owning a few VAG cars over the years.

Gaz7612

I'm sticking with the EW10J4S one for now, i'm sure it will be more than capable of running 1 cooler plugs on a mildly boosted engine 

stavrosGR21
On 3/31/2020 at 10:34 PM, Gaz7612 said:

Hi all,

I'm looking to run coil on plug coil packs on my EW10J4S engine conversion (OMEX 710 ecu)

Would I be able to run VAG 2.0 TFSI coil packs on this engine with correct wiring loom?

I'm also looking for recomendations for fuel injectors and fuel rail to suit the EW10J4S engine with a Rotrex C30-94 mounted to the side of it!!

Thanks again everyone for the help

Gaz

hello did you finished your project? i wanted to have more informations about the build

Gaz7612
On 5/20/2023 at 4:59 PM, stavrosGR21 said:

hello did you finished your project? i wanted to have more informations about the build

I didn’t no, I’ve still got the inlet manifold, injectors, custom fuel rail and supercharger bracket. 

m I’ve since fitted a VAG 1.8T engine instead.