• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Cigarette light / ash tray light...

bacardincoke

I'm likely being a muppet but can someone advise where the bulb end of this wire goes... a pic would be ideal.

Some of the wiring in my car was disconnected or loose. I've identified most of it, but for the life of me I can't find anything on either the lighter, the ashtray or the surrounding trim that appears to be able to accept the bulb.

Pics nicked from the inter-web, but mines identical.

Cig Light.jpg

cig light1.jpg

DamirGTI

Read wire numbers written on the wire insulation , should be :

14C

25B

.. wire 14C goes on the in-line connector or the dash earth block as if i'm not mistaken this one is earth

other one , 25B , goes on the fuse board on J terminal No.3

Cigarette illumination/bulb on the diagram is - 16 

Screenshot from 2020-03-25 20-33-08.png

18805096fa784f8729bb48f46865f5ce6da2d733.jpg

Edited by DamirGTI

bacardincoke

Thanks Damir, that helps confirm it's definitely the lighting that goes to the ciggy lighter / ashtray area.

Do you know where the end with the bulb goes? I can't find any obvious holes or twist in sockets for example that will hold it firm in it's correct position.

It's possible something is missing or was changed in the past on my car... perhaps lower spec. models didn't have the luxury of a light so have different ashtrays / lighters etc?

Cheers.

DamirGTI

Is it Ph1 with the old style dash , or new Ph1.5/2 dash ?

On Ph1.5/2 dash , the illumination bulb goes in the small slot just beneath/underneath the cigarette lighter .. and when working it illuminates that area around the cig. lighter .

You'll need to undo and pull out the complete ashtray with the cover to be able to see and install the bulb in that slot beneath the cig. lighter .

Also , from OE there was an orange plastic/rubber cover which goes/slides onto the bulb , which then makes it illuminate amber colored . 

D

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

It's a Ph1.5... Think I might have found what you mean, took a few pics just to confirm.

I've bought a few green caps for VW VDO gauges in the past, found this seller doing orange ones though there's likely plenty of others doing them also.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulb-Silicone-Cap-Cover-5mm-Orange-x-4-New/131823318738?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Cheers.

bulb.jpg

bulb1.jpg

Tom Fenton

That's the correct place for it.

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Thanks all... appreciated, can start putting things back on now!