• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

wld

Chipped piston. Dead?

wld

I finally managed to open the engine (D6C) and this was inside.

I drove this car for several years and ~100000km and was not expecting such problems. The car is a Bx 16 Valve and the engine has around 250000km and wanted to refurb it since the car is supposed to be registered as a historical vehicle after being painted.

It drove OK, but was using some oil. Compression was fairly equal but on the low side, around 10-11bar (145-155psi) with a cold engine. Pistons are otherwise ok, no excessive wear, no scoring or other marks.

Experienced people around me say that it is ok to reuse that piston, but they have been dealing mainly with diesel engines. I'd like to use another set, but in my country they cannot be found, and the budget is low.

I have a good set from a DFW but lowering compression is not what I had in mind. I already have new liners.

IMG_20191017_160133328.jpg

petert

Something has rattled around in there. I have the impression of an M6 screw in one of mine. File off the burrs and keep going!

SRDT

it doesn't look as deep as the valve pockets but you better grind every crack to avoid fatigue failure.

wld

Finally some good news! Thanks!

welshpug

I'd not get your hopes up too soon, have you measured them and the liners?

the last high miles XU I took apart looked fine but was well beyond refurbishment without new liners and pistons!

• Like 1

wld

Pistons will be measured by the guys at the machining shop and I have new Goetze (8V) class A liners.

Hopefully they'll be OK.

If not, I have another good set from a DFW and a new set of unknown origin that will need machining together with 8V rods.

As I have limited funds, I'm trying to avoid all the hassle and extra expense. That's why it's taking ages to do something...

petert

8V rods will never fit DFW or D6C pistons.

welshpug
40 minutes ago, petert said:

heh

you even posted in that thread Pete :lol:

petert

I'm older and wiser. As are you.

wld
12 hours ago, petert said:

I don't want  8V rods with OE pistons, but if the D6C pistons are not usable, I'll have to use the new pistons that do not center the rod and that means bushing 8V rods.