• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

what is the ignition module (62) in Haynes

Gavin Waddell

As per title and following from my other thread. I’m going through the wiring diagram for my car and well some thing got me stumped. 

Haynes states that 91 is the tach relay?

Then there’s 62 Ignition module, what is this?  Is it the coil that sits on top of the manifold with the high tension leading running to the dizzy.

Gavin 

boldy205

Ignition module is a black and blue thing made by Bosch. Its mounted on an aluminium plate to act as a heat sink. Common for them to pack up if the thermal paste is no longer present between it and the heatsink apparently. 

jackherer

AKA ignition amplifier. It's basically a transistor that takes the electrical pulse from the distributor that is generated as the engine turns over and amplifies it so it can trigger the ignition coil.

The tachymetric relay also receives the same electrical pulse from the distributor and it then supplies power to the fuel pump and fuel injectors. If the engine stops turning over the pulse stops therefore the tachymetric relay cuts power to the pump+injectors.

Gavin Waddell

Ok,  that’s what I thought it was so what’s the tachymetric relay then? Is it the fuel pump relay? Because in Haynes wiring diagram index there isn’t one listed in the F section of the index. 

Bit it confused here

Gavin 

jackherer
1 minute ago, Gavin Waddell said:

what’s the tachymetric relay then

see my post above ^^^ I think we posted at the same time.

Gavin Waddell

Just did a search and the tachymetric relay is the big fuel pump relay. It’s all good now. Ok time to trace some wires.

thanks Gavin 

DamirGTI

Which engine management do you have ? Jetronic or Motronic ?

Motronic is a bit different from Jetronic .. it's completely different injection/fuel pump relay system between the two , same ignition module type but wired differently - one being triggered by the ECU , and other by the distributor .

Tachymetric relay :

Ignition amp/module :

D

Gavin Waddell

Just looked it up, it’s a le2 Jetronic, it’s a phase 1.5 so tach relay was under the dashboard next to the écu, it was the big black one not a yellow one. 

In  your tach link you show a green relay, but for phase 2? I ask because I also have that relay in my engine bay? What’s its purpose?

Gavin

DamirGTI

The green one in the engine bay on Motronic 205 is injection supply relay .

On Jetronic , 4pin engine bay relays are usually for the lights/fog lights and horn ...

D