• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

PhilNW

Car horns

PhilNW

Odd problem - 1.6 car horns I can get 1 horn to work at  a time OK but not both, just a very weak flat noise.

With a supply straight from battery both work OK together, earth is OK

Indicator switch/horn button is relatively new so not high on the suspect list,   

As 1.6 I understand there is no relay to run the horns so a wiring problem somewhere,

Any idea where to look next on the wiring?

jackherer

Check the wire itself, if you cut the plug off you'll probably find dull black copper wire. Keep cutting it back until you find shiny bright copper then splice new wire in from there. It might be the entire run in the engine bay right up to the firewall that needs replacing.

PhilNW

I was thinking if there are any connectors I could check and then run a new wire parallel to the dodgy one (if that is what it is) 

jackherer

I think the nearest connector is a multiplug going onto the back of the fusebox.

SRDT

This one should be right for a 1.6 GTI:

thibault63_o_18umbdhii1c4f1ms512ui1ijo1o

If you also have trouble with the rear defroster and cigarette lighter then the culprit is probably the fuse box.

PhilNW

Thanks for the schematic, did not find that in the document i found

PhilNW

Solved - the diagram worked a treat - Thanks SRDT

Checked resistances all the way through the system no obvious high resistance wires  - temporarily bypassed the wire from the fuse box to the horns and they worked.

Traced it to a dodgy  connector on one of the horns

Edited by PhilNW