• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

matthewm

BE3 box - Gear selector arm spring bracket breaking

matthewm

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on an issue I’m having!

Had my box apart a while back to change middle casing (broke around mounting pin) & clutch fork arm - 2 events later had an issue where the box wouldn’t pop back to neutral from 5th without pushing the gear leaver towards the centre. Strip down revealed the bracket which the selector spring returns against had snapped on the 5th/reverse side. Didn’t think much of it so replaced the bracket, all looked ok, then 3 rallies later - same issue again. Just stripped the box and both sides of the bracket have snapped this time, although the 1st/2nd side was still just about picking up to spring return. Has anyone come across this bracket breaking before?

5DF7572D-9C24-4B81-9771-EE59648441F0.jpeg

9AEE6B9B-A1AC-40D5-9CD5-8A38DAA4B6B1.jpeg

80CBF138-C635-4148-A882-B436E830256A.jpeg

matthewm

A kind gent with a lot of experience with these boxes suggested the casings could be different, there’s a slight difference between the old and new - a small oil flap by the reverse gear- although looks identical otherwise. I have another casing with the same flap as the original so will change to that casing, but would rather be 100% confident the problem is fixed opposed to snapping another and potentially damaging the box. Thanks in advance for any help/ suggestions!

6AD6B404-8192-433D-A666-58820CCE7613.jpeg

75B2AEB8-6350-4B8B-B7ED-764616D24AC0.jpeg

Tom Fenton

Is there anything pushing on or fouling the external gear linkage?

matthewm

Linkage all appears fine and free, I changed to rose joints opposed to ball and cup, although this was since the first breakage.  Spent a fair amount of time making sure it was all aligned properly on install - would be happy if it was something as simple as a linkage problem though!

DamirGTI

IMG_8619.JPG

IMG_8620.JPG