• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adamstanford

Lowered my 205 now steering is off center??

Adamstanford

Hi there, put some 25mm lowering springs on the 205, which has dropped the front 2 inches (had incorrect springs on before) 

It drives nice and straight, no noises, no issues. But the steering wheel is now about 10degrees pointing left when car is going straight.. 

jackherer

Have the tracking re-set, it's crucial after lowering the car, or even changing major suspension components for standard replacements.

Whatever you do, do NOT remove the steering wheel and replace it 10 degrees differently, that just masks the problem.

• Thanks 1

Adamstanford
1 hour ago, jackherer said:

Have the tracking re-set, it's crucial after lowering the car, or even changing major suspension components for standard replacements.

Whatever you do, do NOT remove the steering wheel and replace it 10 degrees differently, that just masks the problem.

Ah yes I wasn't going to bodge it lol. I was wondering if perhaps I haven't got the shocks all the way in the arms where the pinch bolt is, but I'll check tomorrow.. I just thought it was odd that it had gone squint (I've never lowered a car before) 

Still drives straight and true. 

This is normal then? Thanks for your reply.

pugdamo

Yeah that is totally normal, as said get it tracked and that will sort it. As the car goes down the angle of the track rods changes which in turn pushes the wheels to a different angle.

• Thanks 1

jackherer

It only needs a tiny difference to put the tracking out noticeably. If you change e.g. a wishbone for a like-for-like new replacement it will need aligning afterwards.

Before you get it tracked it's always worth checking it hasn't been bodged in the past as it is a surprisingly common practice. Turn the wheel to each lock and confirm it turns as much to the left as it does to the right.

• Like 1