• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dankm5

Exterior trims

Dankm5

Can someone enlighten me as to why my car has different trims to most other gti’s i’ve seen?

And where is a good place to source correct, replacement ones, new or used?

cheers guys

29A50EA9-B69B-45A6-B449-8F819B5AF1E5.jpeg

SRDT

They are 205 Rallye parts but painted black and fitted with ugly screws, the front bumper is also strange and I can see at least one fog light under it instead of a driving light.

welshpug

quite likely its not a GTi as it hasnt any side trims either, unless someone has done a lot of work filling all the trim holes, definitely has had paint on at least the front grille.

DamirGTI

As above , overall looks a bit odd .. no rivets on the shell for the side trim either , though they might've been ground off if it was painted over .

Chassis number will tell for sure if it's GTI or Rallye , base model XS or something else .. look at the 6-7-8 digits on the chassis number for the engine code .

EDIT : now , looking at your pictures down below - by the chassis number , "CDF" will be 1.9 DFZ engine .. so that's right , it is a GTi (in common AUS spec. for GTI ... from what i read over here , you've had most of them with the 1.9 DFZ low compression engines)

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Thanks 1

Dankm5

Cheers for the reply, fellas.. I’m still a a loss as to why it’s missing it’s correct trims

DamirGTI

Previous owner personal preference having "Rallye look" perhaps ..

Or could be repainted some time in the past , and during that process at the body shop they ground off all the side rivets for mounting the trim on , making it problematic to fit the trim back with nothing to "hook on" .

Had this the same thing happened on one of my 205's , after some body work and full respray at the body shop they simply cut and ground off all the side trim rivets from the shell just so it's easier for them to work on it ... stupid and unnecessary , thus as always , if you want a proper job - do it by yourself ! (if possible tools and skill wise of course ..)

D

Edited by DamirGTI