• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Front Wing Securing Bolt / Screw...

bacardincoke

I've a set of front mudflaps that are shaped and specific to 205's. Because of the contoured part, the flap can't be re-positioned and must sit in an exact spot.

The lower attachment point is a metal bracket that grips the seam on the sill and the upper attachment point makes use of the existing bolt / screw that attaches the wing, presumably so you don't have to drill holes etc.

Hard to capture on a photo but unfortunately this bolt (on both sides) of my car is thickly coated in under seal / paint meaning it'll not be such a straightforward job as it should have been.

I've nothing to compare to other than images on the inter-web but is this the standard finish on that part of the wing / wheel arch... Certainly makes for good weatherproofing?

Has someone a close-up picture of the bolt / wheel arch area that has been taken apart so I can possibly get an idea of what I'm dealing with, I don't want to start removing paint etc. to discover the bolt can't be easily loosened.

Cheers.

MF1.jpg

MF3.jpg

MK2.jpg

clip front.jpg

utilises.jpg

front gti badge.jpg

Philpooma

I hope that this helps.

9CBE56D6-733E-4776-9BF5-87CB7E904CAE.jpeg

• Like 1

bacardincoke

Thanks Phil, that is a help... appears to be nothing other than a standard bolt beneath, should be doable getting it undone.

welshpug

never seen flaps with quite that profile however the original dealer supplied flaps use that screw as well, just carefully cut away the sealant around the captive washer

Philpooma
1 hour ago, bacardincoke said:

Thanks Phil, that is a help... appears to be nothing other than a standard bolt beneath, should be doable getting it undone.

Hi Martin, yes its nothing special. Unfortunately you have to clean off some of the original under-seal to expose the bolt.

Before you fit the mud flap, I would dab some anti corrosion fluid over the area that you have cleaned off - or just some plain old grease. Its not going to get washed away after all.

Where are the mud flaps from? They are different to the ones that came with my car.

Philpooma
Just now, welshpug said:

never seen flaps with quite that profile however the original dealer supplied flaps use that screw as well, just carefully cut away the sealant around the captive washer

I was interested to see where they came from too Mel, as I noticed they were different to the ones that came with my car.

bacardincoke

They're old stock from a guy in Italy. The packaging's in italian and the maker is 'Metalplast' (an Italian company) though the flaps themselves and the fitting instructions have french markings. Maybe made for those markets only, just guessing?

I'm originally a VW MK I / II Golf person and Metalplast is a familiar name as they did quite a few accessories for those cars of that period.

The front flaps have '205' molded into them and the rears are blank.

You've likely seen Desborough designs on eBay? The GTI badges are replica Peugeot mudflap ones he's reproducing.

As luck would have it they're the perfect size to cover the 205 script, just a case of drilling 2 x holes for the pins and securing with the press on washers provided.

The rear flaps are also contoured to the 205, and the brackets clamp to the lower apron lip so again no holes needed.

front plain.jpg

rear plain.jpg

badges front.jpg

badges rear.jpg

rear plain logo.jpg

box front.jpg

box for fronts.jpg

gti badge clips.jpg

both gti badges 2.jpg

clip rear.jpg

welshpug

just noticed the drain tube poking out, never seen one like that before :blink:  they should just be draining inside the wing which has a gap at the bottom.

bacardincoke

Have the inside rear trim panels and the door cards off at the moment and noticed the drain holes in each of those areas. The door ones I'd expect, but those in the quarter panel were a surprise. The front arch area isn't that accessible from the inside, so good to know they're there too and to keep clear.

Mk1 Golfs have them on the very rear corners, at the bottom of the wheel arch where they meets the rear panel. 

Presumably the pipe exiting on mine where it does isn't the original set up, but I think it's actually a sensible alternative, specially since the grommet's already there.

Even if the drain on the wing is clear and works, I'd prefer no water going into the cavity than any water at all, even it can drain away.

What would the purpose of the 2 x grommets have originally been, to allow waxing the cavity at the factory or access to something?

Callum

Yes I would say so and also if for any reason that cavity did fill up with water there would be an escape for it as the grommets have an x cut in them. I removed the o/s wing recently on mine and re sealed that area this is how the drain pipe is usually so someone must have replaced the pipe on yours for it come out the grommet as you can see it's quite a distance for it to go compared to the original 

IMG_20191230_154737.jpg

• Like 1

bacardincoke

Cheers Callum... Images like that are gold to me. Answers quite a few questions and great reference material for the future, thanks.

bacardincoke

Got around to trial fitting the flaps and as suggested above the bolt holding on the wing was relatively easy to expose, thanks once again for the info.

It also lines up perfectly with the corresponding hole in flap itself, so all in all a straightforward job.

Everything is well secured and no drilling required, which is always good.

The weather proofing obviously does an excellent job, judging by the condition of the original bolt and hole beneath.

The rear flaps are even more simple to fit, but the gap between the bumper lip and tyre means it'll need the wheel off to do properly, so that's for another time.

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

• Like 1

Callum
On 1/20/2020 at 3:31 PM, bacardincoke said:

Got around to trial fitting the flaps and as suggested above the bolt holding on the wing was relatively easy to expose, thanks once again for the info.

It also lines up perfectly with the corresponding hole in flap itself, so all in all a straightforward job.

Everything is well secured and no drilling required, which is always good.

The weather proofing obviously does an excellent job, judging by the condition of the original bolt and hole beneath.

The rear flaps are even more simple to fit, but the gap between the bumper lip and tyre means it'll need the wheel off to do properly, so that's for another time.

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Looking for a set of these 

bacardincoke

Seems they were an official accessory... made by Metaplast and sold as Peugeots own.

(Sent you a link to these ones Callum)

Portugese bavettes.JPG

Portugese bavettes1.JPG

Telf

callum how come your windscreen drain hoses are appearing in the front arch? I seem to remember mine are just inside the wing and drain from behind the panel

Callum

Not my car mate mine is the photo above with the front wing removed

Edited by Callum