• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Romb

Something in oil / rate my block / remove stuck spacer / sump material

Romb

Hello,

Have 4 q's and would greatly appreciate your advice :

- Any idea what the droplets in the 1st pic could be ?

It was only in the leftover oil in the sump, the rest of the old 5 liters didn't seem to have any floating contaminants, although it sure did look like gross worn oil, like a black greyish mass.

- In the next pics, is my engine overly brown, like baked in oil ?

It's a 8v, 240k km's, last years rarely used. I did have a trip to Spain with high oil temps on the 1000 mile back home, like continuous oil temps of 125-130 Celsius.

- Anyone a tip for removing the sump spacer ?

Car is on the ground and I can't find a leverage point. Tried hitting it a bit with a deadblow but didn't work. Plan now is to remove bumper, fan and rad to create some access and try to squeeze in a stanley blade or thin screwdriver. But hopefully there is an easier way. I could heat it with a 400 Celsius heat gun, but somehow don't feel too comfortable with that.

- What is the sump made of, steel right ?

Thanks, your feedback is much appreciated !

IMG_20200101_162548_resized_20200102_112145012.jpg

IMG_20200102_185314_resized_20200102_112146515.jpg

IMG_20200102_185632_resized_20200102_112147913.jpg

Edited by Romb

petert

Have you removed the two socket headed cap screws? Also, there is a dowel, towards the back, on the exhaust side. So it needs to come off vertically.  From memory, I leaver off towards the front, on one of the sides.

Your engine looks normal for the age.

Romb
5 minutes ago, petert said:

Have you removed the two socket headed cap screws? Also, there is a dowel, towards the back, on the exhaust side. So it needs to come off vertically.  From memory, I leaver off towards the front, on one of the sides.

Your engine looks normal for the age.

Thanks. Yes, screws removed. I was expecting some alignment pins, so hitting it from the side with a dead blow indeed couldn't do much.

Just found another post where the tip was to put a bar between a main bearing cap and one of the cross sections of the spacer and pry it off that way. That sounds like a pretty good plan.