• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Zambesi0

Zambesi0

have recently acquired a 1989 205 gti 1,9 from "Carnell classic cars" near Harrogate and trusting the owner Dave (stupid of me) and not knowing any different    I have now found out that the 1.9 was not fitted with drum brakes which this car has and on contacting dealer have been told to piss off and accept that I have been shafted.( do not know as yet if I have any legal recourse.)

Any owners have any opinions as to whether it is worth trying to source and fit correct rear beam with discs or leave things be.

Edited by Zambesi0

Leslie green

Apparently from what I have read some export model 1.9's did have rear drum brakes , these were usually automatic cars though and destined for the Japanese market , they may not all have been auto;s though , does the logbook say first registered new in uk ?

Axles are a known weak point and it would have been easier to find a drum brake axle in the past when these were cheap runarounds too .

Edited by Leslie green

jackherer

I'd start by measuring the torsion bars to see if they are GTI spec or not. The easiest way is to try an open ended spanner on them, GTI bars should be just under 19mm. (18.6mm + paint/powder coat)

Leslie green

Jap spec info thread :

Zambesi0

First reg uk it would appear some previous owner fitted a beam from a 1.6

jackherer
1 minute ago, Zambesi0 said:

it would appear some previous owner fitted a beam from a 1.6

Or even worse a non-GTI with thinner torsion bars and anti roll bar.

Until you measure the bars you wont know for sure.

There is also a difference between GTI and non-GTI crosstubes but start by checking the torsion bar diameter.

Tom Fenton

It’s not a huge job to convert back to discs, however in all honesty the drums certainly have a better handbrake, and you’ll almost certainly notice no real difference in braking performance in road use between the two.

SRDT

With 1.9 brake compensators you may have too much pressure for drums, you also need to check if they are proper 1.6 40mm wide drums and not the regular 30mm ones.

petert

Early Australian delivered GTi's also had drum brakes. They were essentially a manual 1.6L GTi with 1.9L DFZ engine. If yours is a genuine D6B or DKZ car, then changing back to rear discs is something you can work towards, but certainly not essential.

The compensators are an interesting point however. Drum brake cars have a single compensator mounted on the firewall. Where as discs have one each side, mounted in front of the rear beam, just before the flexible brake hose.

Zambesi0

Thanks to all so far , interesting things to check

Zambesi0

hi again

have checked drums and torsion bars as suggested and bars are 19mm drums are 40mm,other sources also say drums are possible better but am concerned that not being discs will affect resale in the future as car not original.Any thoughts?

• Like 1

SRDT

As long as it's a GTI rear beam you can use 306 arms to convert to disc brakes.

Tom Fenton

Or leave the trailing arms alone, just changing the stub axles and brake specific bits.

I’d have to check but I may have all the bits required.

Zambesi0

tom

have emailed you re parts req. thanks

Adamstanford
On 12/30/2019 at 6:25 PM, Tom Fenton said:

It’s not a huge job to convert back to discs, however in all honesty the drums certainly have a better handbrake, and you’ll almost certainly notice no real difference in braking performance in road use between the two.

This is true, I have recently refurbed my rear drums, new cylinders, liners, handbrake cables etc and the handbrake works fantastic and braking performance is brilliant. Even better than the brakes fitted to my mr2

Zambesi0

Thanks to all who responded,do not feel so shafted now as I can rectify the problem without to much trouble as the car is a 1.9 apart from rear beam.

Still has reminded me  about. “Buyer Beware” in the classic car world.

Zambesi0

hi

various attempts to contact Tom Fenton ie message on here and emails to his new website have failed,can anybody help?

Batfink

He may just be having a busy start to the year. He'll be in touch I'm sure.