• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Philpooma

Gearbox intermediate bearing removal

Philpooma

I’m sorry to ask another question, I’m not sure that the search facility works for me as no matter what I search, I seem to get the same search results.

I need to replace the above bearing and understand that I need to drive it off as its stuck on the shaft and not the housing. However I need to ask if the metal section stopping the bearing from being removed, is something that is also driven off?

It looks very permanent when I look at it. Its the part marked with a question mark in the image.

BA5249E5-4AE4-4B09-9E62-39845D1ADDB5.jpeg

Ozymandis

Grind it down thin and then cut it with a cold chisel, its a soft steel retaining collar pressed on to stop the bearing working loose.

Philpooma
6 hours ago, Ozymandis said:

Grind it down thin and then cut it with a cold chisel, its a soft steel retaining collar pressed on to stop the bearing working loose.

Brilliant, thanks Jay.

Assume you need to replace the collar afterwards, is this a dealer part? 

Tom Fenton

Get it hot and you might be able to get it off and use it again

• Thanks 1

petert

Yes, oxy torch is your friend.

Load it all up in the press, supported under the bearing. Heat up the ring with an oxy torch and it will all come apart easily. The method above is a hack job.

Edited by petert

Ozymandis

I admit Peter I just hack em off:( and also the bearings, takes minutes, You dont need a workshop full of expensive Oxy/Acet, presses or pullers, which he may not have, he`s working on these old sheds so probably has a 4 1/2" grinder and a BFH. I do have a stock of collars my friend spun up for me on his WWII American lend/lease  lathe though.

Warm up the new bearing with a hair dryer and the collar on your cooker hob Phil, drive em on with a piece of suitable pipe.

This isnt precision aerospace engineering its basic old bangers. This is the same crude BE1 Talbot Horizon diesel part , hardly a high end racing car design, then later cobbled into the 205

The Peugeot and Citroen part number is 324808 and described as" driveshaft bush" on their systems, they are lots cheaper than a load of professional workshop/engineering equipment as used by very successful race winning expert car builders.:)

• Thanks 1

B1ack_Mi16

I made a puller arangement. Really nasty looking, but pulls it off so the collar can be re-used.

ez43t0w.jpg

• Thanks 1

Philpooma
7 hours ago, petert said:

Yes, oxy torch is your friend.

Load it all up in the press, supported under the bearing. Heat up the ring with an oxy torch and it will all come apart easily. The method above is a hack job.

Cheers Peter, to be fair I have a standard (but reasonably well equipped) home garage and usually the hack would have been the option open to me. But I’m working in a body shop on a car resto for someone and they have Oxy bottles so will take the drive shaft in tomorrow and ask to use them.

Thanks as ever :D

Philpooma
4 hours ago, Ozymandis said:

I admit Peter I just hack em off:( and also the bearings, takes minutes, You dont need a workshop full of expensive Oxy/Acet, presses or pullers, which he may not have, he`s working on these old sheds so probably has a 4 1/2" grinder and a BFH. I do have a stock of collars my friend spun up for me on his WWII American lend/lease  lathe though.

Warm up the new bearing with a hair dryer and the collar on your cooker hob Phil, drive em on with a piece of suitable pipe.

This isnt precision aerospace engineering its basic old bangers. This is the same crude BE1 Talbot Horizon diesel part , hardly a high end racing car design, then later cobbled into the 205

The Peugeot and Citroen part number is 324808 and described as" driveshaft bush" on their systems, they are lots cheaper than a load of professional workshop/engineering equipment as used by very successful race winning expert car builders.:)

Hi Jay, as you may have seen on my reply to Peter, I will probably be able to gain access to some Oxy Bottles tomorrow at a place where I am working. Its great to have different suggestions from the forum as they are all valid depending on the tool options a available, so both well equipped work shop and home garage hacks are very welcome to me.

I appreciate you all taking time to answer my annoying questions ;), thanks

Philpooma
1 hour ago, B1ack_Mi16 said:

I made a puller arangement. Really nasty looking, but pulls it off so the collar can be re-used.

ez43t0w.jpg

Thanks Kristian, I can see how that would work, nice bit of home made kit.

Doesn't matter how it looks as long as it does the job eh :)

Philpooma
On 12/18/2019 at 5:44 PM, Philpooma said:

Hi Jay, as you may have seen on my reply to Peter, I will probably be able to gain access to some Oxy Bottles tomorrow at a place where I am working. Its great to have different suggestions from the forum as they are all valid depending on the tool options a available, so both well equipped work shop and home garage hacks are very welcome to me.

I appreciate you all taking time to answer my annoying questions ;), thanks

Interestingly, I took the drive shaft into work and had a go at removing the ring after heating it up with the Oxy bottles.

It still wasn't very keen to come off, even after getting it red hot, so I let it cool and did the grinder hack.

Good news is its off now, thanks for the support everyone.