• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rallyace

Modified distributor and advance curve

Rallyace

I joined the forum today and I have a question that I hope someone can help with. 

I have a 205 rally car and compete in Targa rallies. The regulations for targa rallying dictate that I have to keep the standard fuel injection. I intend rebuilding a 1.9 8 valve engine over the winter and I'm planning some minor upgrades. Essentially, it will be a "fast road" specification and will include a mildly modified cylinder head, with 3 angle valve seats and a Piper 270 degree duration camshaft and vernier pulley. I may also use 1.6 pistons to achieve a higher compression ratio.

I am conscious that the advance/retard requirements of the engine will need to be changed and in the interests of reliability, the distributor could also benefit from a rebuild.

What are my options and who is the best person/company to talk to?

petert

Hi and welcome. The 270 Piper is not significantly different to the standard D6B cam, so you may wish to shop around a bit, especially if you’re considering an increase in CR. This is where you’ll reap the most increase in power. Changing the pistons is one option. Easier options are a thinner head gasket or skimming the head. You can skim up to 2mm, but obviously you’d need to determine if it’s been done before. Remapping the dizzy is worthwhile. Sorry, can’t help as I’m in Oz. Perhaps H&H?

Tom Fenton

Re read the regs, you don’t need to keep the standard injection, what you do need to keep is the inlet manifold and the throttle body.

More compression, more cam, and a mappable ecu to give 3D ignition and fuel control and that would make a decent package retaining the throttle body and inlet. Alternatively one of the 16v engines transplanted in will probably give more power at less cost.

Rallyace

Thanks Peter. I also have a a donor 1.6 engine, so I've got the pistons, just need to fit them to the 1.9 rods and get a good set of rings. I've also already got the cam and vernier, as they also came with the old1.6 engine.

Rallyace

Thanks Tom. My original post was misleading. I'm aware of the specifics of the regulation, but I'd ruled out the mappable ignition for the reason (cost) that you point out. What are my options in terms of 16v engines, as I already have a BE3 box that I would want to retain.

I had the rebuild of the 1.9 8 valve in mind for the low revs torque.

I want to keep the cost low, as I think that it is more in keeping with the spirit of targa rallying.

petert

I’d do the engine mods and fit a new ECU, along with a wasted spark coil pack, rather than fit any 16V. Whilst the top end power won’t be as strong, it will be more than adequate, easy to tune and stay in tune. Money spent on the dizzy would be better spent on a new ecu.

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

opticaltrigger
13 hours ago, petert said:

Money spent on the dizzy would be better spent on a new ecu.

Hi Jeff,

Pete's giving you very, very sound advise there.

With regard to your concerns over cost,,, there are some very good and low cost ecu solutions out there for what you need.

All the best,

O.T.