• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cooterdoug01

405 MI changed to xu10j4rs and be3/6

cooterdoug01

Hello All

i am currently doing a mi to GTI6 engine and box conversion.

i got the wiring and plumbing done, but i am just looking at the anti roll bar on the left side and it a tad too close to the gearbox.

my question is has anyone tried to fit up the 406 front sub-frame to a 405 before?

as the ARB sits in a different place. i get i will have to change steering rack and front shock absorbers and probably the front hubs, but if the sub-frame fits then it will be worth it and it will probably have a thicker ARB too. 

if nobody is sure i might see if i can get a doner vehicle to try it anyway 

Also i am based in New Zealand so parts are a little harder to come by. 

welshpug

if its not touching then why worry?

the 406 only shares the hubs with a 405, the subframe is quite a bit larger, significantly wider   (405 and 306 are nigh on the same track)

the 405 ARB mounts on the rear stays of the subframe, so some longer bolts and spacers may give you enough space, IIRC on the V6 conversion I helped with we just dispensed with it as it was in the way of the exhaust manifold.

SRDT

The MK1 Xantia with BE gearbox had a narrower subframe so maybe you can work with that.

Look here for more info about the GTI6 swap on a 405:

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2789-giving-a-405-sport-wagon-another-chance/&page=8#comments

And if you're wondering why the BE3/6 fits so well on a 205 and not so much on a 405 it's simply that it was first designed for the 205 GTI Gr.A rally car.

Tom Fenton

The group a 6 speed box was a PTS special gearkit that fitted in the same envelope as the 5 speed box. Rare as hens teeth now. Not the same as the be3/6.

JeffR

I've got a J4RS block in my series 1 405, admittedly with the BE3/5 box and plenty of clearance.

If there's difference in the size of the BE3/6 box, I'd do what Welshpug suggested and space the arb rearwards. A whole lot easier than searching for a compatible subframe.

calvinhorse

Remove the ARB and fit heavier springs, job done

or re engineering the whole arb set up will be a lot easier than fitting a different subframe 

SRDT
On 12/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, Tom Fenton said:

The group a 6 speed box was a PTS special gearkit that fitted in the same envelope as the 5 speed box. Rare as hens teeth now. Not the same as the be3/6.

That's the later SMAN dog box, the early 6 speed from 87 was based on the BE1:

BE1-6.png.0d816d257e3004c6bc4e455272d99674.png

cooterdoug01

Awesome idea about spacing it rearward. Thank you for the help gentlemen. Will post some pics once I am done.