• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kingswood

water pump leaking?

Kingswood

hello! ive recently, ie today, just bought a '89 1.9 Gti :-)

in good condition and been recomissioned but comes with a water leak from the highlighted picture below. you can see a drip in the picture! ive removed the wheel arch cover for a better view.

i'm hoping its just a seal. ive looked behind to make sure its not a corroded block and that seems ok.

i know you shouldnt buy a car with a leak but was all reflected in the price and im into this with my eyes, and wallet, wide open!

IMG_9596.thumb.PNG.1b21b853134c977832345332cc5a16c6.PNG

DamirGTI

Probably leak from the water pump weep hole , meaning you'll need new one soon . Or water pump gasket leak .

D

Kingswood

thanks for the reply. its had a pump and cambelt kit last year so hopefully be the seal!

welshpug

pumps tend to come with the seal/gasket so you would hope its not that after only a year, you will need to get the belt covers off and investigate more.

thinking laterally there may be a pinhole in the metal pipe through the wheelarch if its the original mild steel one!

DamirGTI

... also , maybe the head bolt above the water pump housing with "missing washer" dug into the block and made an crack ... worth checking as it seemed kinda common mistake if not cautious .

D