• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tedski

Wheel offset, what's going on?

Tedski

Hello,

I have a 1989 1.6 gti, and have just had new shocks (B4) and springs (Eibach) fitted to the front, together with Gutmann mesh (ET13 ) wheels I hunted down.

Now it seems the front wheels are sticking out of the bodywork, which I understand now is logical because 1.6 hubs have more offset than normal and 1.9 hubs.

This would account for the 10 mm one of the wheels is sticking out of the bodywork, but the other front wheel sticks out 20mm roughly.

I presume I never really noticed the difference on the normal speedlines, but now with the bigger wheels it really shows.

I don't understand what combination of parts could account for the 10mm of extra width, on top of the expected 10mm due to the 1.6 hubs.

And only on one side.

Any idea's?

I'll will find some 1.9 hubs, or should I get standard due to spline?

Could at some point longer wishbones have been used on the left, making the wheel come out more? Or some other combination?

The car never had odd tyre wear.

The wheels are all the same.

Any help or ideas would be great.

Edited by Tedski
Spelling

welshpug

it could have a 309 wishbone which is about 10mm longer, however that is at the lower part of the wheel so will not account for a full 20mm at the top of the wheel.

sure the wheelarch is not dented?

pug_ham

What's the width of the Gutmann wheels & what tyre size are fitted? 

This & the change in offset could explain the wheels sticking out.

g

Tedski

Thanks for the replies.

The fender is not dented. May be inproperly aligned, will measure again tomorrow.

Tyres are Michelin pilot sport 3 195/50 r15 all around, new.

Wheel size:

gutmannsize.JPG.13c53bf5627aea8e1437467397145c88.JPG

welshpug

I would check all 4 wheels match, as I have seen some varying offsets, also check the offset of the brake disc as it is possible to run a 1.9 disc on a base model hub and a 1.6 caliper, and lastly look at the wishbones, you want both to match, either 205 type with the strengthening ribs or plain 309 type.

• Like 1

SRDT

Isn't one wheel wider than the others?

pug_ham

7" wide rims with the change in offset will stick out a bit further imo, they are an 1  1/2" wider than the standard 1.6 GTI wheels.

As said though, check they are all the same offset.

g

Tedski

It seems the mystery has been solved.

My mechanic, a man who used to wrench on many 205s, has ripped everything apart again and started measuring everything again.

It seems at one point in its life a Peugeot 306 or Partner hub (carrier) was fitted, and it was bent.

Now some standard hubs are going in, with 1.9 discs, and 106gti calipers, and all should be good.

Thanks for all the help, she's going to look good once all the offset issues are gone. :)

205gutmannwheels.thumb.jpg.85bb6e2fd33f3cf1489136203a00a231.jpg

AlexRS2782

Nice wheel choice :)  Looking forward to getting my EXIP variants of those wheels fitted to my GTI next year.  Only problem is i still can't decide what colour(s) & finish to do them for the retro look - too many choices :rolleyes:

Tedski

Thanks. :)

The morning I went to drop off the wheels to be repaired and painted, I changed my mind. First I wanted the original black and silver, but that morning I thought 'F it', BBS gold and polished rim it is.

Very happy with the 'retro I never wash it and the paint is terrible" look :) Just the wheels need to get dirty.

The hub drama continues btw. Still hunting for 2 good ones that are the same, she's still on the lift at the garage.

SRDT

309 XU/XUD hubs are the same as gti 1.9 so they are not that hard to find, but you also need 1.9 driveshafts.

welshpug

base model 205 hubs would probably be easier to find and fit your 1.6 shafts, also bringing the wheels in a little so they aren't sticking out as much potentially striking the arches on heavy cornering, use a 1.9 vented disc and the 1.6 calipers.

can;t remember the last time I saw a 309 in a breakers, they have all but disappeared!

Tedski

She's back on the road, thanks for all the help.

Base model hubs was what was needed.

1.9 discs.

But the 106GTI calipers touched the wheels. They don't on speedlines.

So, she needs 1.9 calipers, my 1.6 calipers were too far gone.

Right now 3mm spacers will have to do, which is a pain after all this work.

Next round will be 1.9 calipers and lose the spacers. Maybe new brake shoes on the rear, as the brake pedal has too much travel to be confidence inspiring atm.

Ahhh old cars, it never ends...

Fun to drive tho :)

welshpug

new shoes would not fix the pedal travel in isolation, there's probably air in the system if its long, or a leak from a wheel cylinder.

Tom Fenton

Its usually adjustment on the shoes that gives a long pedal. The auto adjusters are predictably crap.