• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lagonda

How to clean CTi headlining

lagonda

I'm looking at fitting a new roof covering to my CTi, so a good opportunity to deal with the headlining.

We spent a couple of years homeless and touring Europe in the CTi before settling in France. When we moved on from Italy, we stayed in a mobile home on the Cote d'Azur. Our move from the UK had been pretty disastrous, so the car was packed with all sorts of paraphernalia. Went to drive the car one day, and saw a strange gash in the headlining. How the **** did that get there?! The culprit, believe it or not, was a shaving mirror on the parcel shelf! Yes, it had concentrated the sun, and burnt an arc in the headlining. Bloody annoying ... but had to be reiieved that the outcome had not been seriously worse.

Another forum member came up with an undamaged headlining; the only problem is that it is pretty grubby. It looks like oil/grease staining, but of course could be anything. Problem is, attempts at cleaning it so far haven't been very successful. Has anyone had a similar issue, and found a way of cleaning/restoring the colour back to an otherwise goo headlining?

sp_en_ny

Firstly I would try some good old fashioned washing up liquid, had some success with that on mine. If that fails or wont remove the more stubborn stains I would then mix a bit of biological washing powder with some warm water and try that. That should pretty much remove everything but you will need to use a bit of elbow grease and go over it a few times.

steve@cornwall

Leave it to soak in warm water and clothes washing powder. A final scrub up with a nail brush to get into the patterning and I bet it will look superb. 

sp_en_ny

Can the headlining be taken off and put back on whilst the hood itself is still in place ?

steve@cornwall

I dont think so, (many years since I replaced a hood) but could be done when replacing hood.  

I got pretty good results with a scrubbing brush and washing powder solution with hood in situ (and a bloody stiff neck). Wipe over with a wet cloth and solution first to allow a little soaking. 

Never tried it but have thought that sugar soap would do a good job too. 

lagonda

Hi Steve and Spencer,

Many thanks for replies. I should have thought of washing powder! Used to use it to clean greasy kitchen walls in houses I rented to students years ago.

Laurence