• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lagonda

CTi roof material

lagonda

Bought my CTi in 2003, and it had had a fresh roof covering fitted the year before. The replacement was not a factory one, but aftermarket, and to be fair, it has lasted just as well/long as the original.

So what do I replace it with this time?! Happy enough with vinyl, but I see that options are available in mohair, and "Alpaga Sonnenland". This latter is apparently dralon/alpaca, and is stated to be the fabric of choice for Mercedes and BMW.

The problem I have with a vinyl replacement is that, eventually, it splits where it folds above the doors at the edge of the roof, and also cracks around the side edges of the area where the rear window is fixed. I often have the roof down in winter, so I daresay folding the roof when the vinyl is cold and stiff doesn't help.

So, has anyone fitted a mohair or Alpaga Sonnenland material hood? Any issues? Longevity? Easier/harder to fit than vinyl?

Thinking of supply from this firm here in France:  comptoirducabriolet.com/fr/peugeot/205-cabriolet/capotes-peugeot-205-cabriolet/

sp_en_ny

I had a mohair hood fitted about 2 years ago replacing a vinyl hood. Personally I hate the look of vinyl and much prefer the mohair. Mohair is a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion. I never fitted it myself and paid a trimmer to fit it. The trimmer also ordered the hood from BAS international. Cant say I am overly pleased with the way it has been fitted, not sure if that is down to the fitter, the hood not being a true fit or the replacement hood spanners and centre bar not being a perfect fit. Or it could be a combination of all three. Being mohair and if fitted correctly it shouldn't split, certainly not as easy, it is very hard wearing. I have not heard of dralon/alpaca so cant comment. There is a fitting guide on the site here which is worth a read before attempting it yourself and I have attached a copy for you. With the hood you should get nice new screws and the plastic cover near the rear windows that screws to the c pillar.

205 CTI Hood Fitting Instructions.pdf

lagonda

Hi Spencer,

Many thanks, confirms what I thought. Funnily enough, the present hood on my CTi could also have been fitted better. One side was tighter than the other, which led to premature splitting of the vinyl above the header rail.

Well chuffed you included those instructions ... that was the next thing I was going to ask for! I know it is covered in the Haynes manual, but an alternative is good to have, doubtless Haynes will have omitted something or got it wrong at some point; plus those photos look pretty helpful.

Cheers

Laurence

sp_en_ny

One of my sides is not tight as well and over the last 6 months when you close the hood right up it has started to pull up from the rear centre bar. You can adjust the frame where they bolt to the side of the chassis, (that's what I see the trimmer doing having took it back several times) but be careful if you do as it could cause the sag to be worse, create a sag the other side but also have trouble closing it up properly and creating new gaps around the seal at the front. Hence why I preferred to have someone do it so it would be done properly but I think it was a bit of a rush job. I was told it would take a day or two and ended up being a whole week and the day I went to collect it  they were still finishing it off.

kenneth cartwright

cheers just doing this on a CTI was looking for some instructions as the roof was pretty rotten and cannot see where elastics should go... a lot of guess work..but using my mk1 golf fitting skills, looks like im going correct way. less glue....so will redo some little bits.