• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

subrown

water in car

subrown

Hi, i have had water in the drivers footwell (damp carpet) and underneath the rear seats when I had to pull them up to check summat. I have taken it out in the wet occasionally as had to use it as an emergency.....it is also left in the elements when raining (although I do clean/dry it every week). Basic water ingress from ill fitting panels etc ????? I also consequently get a lot of internal condensation.

AlexRS2782

Quite a few places it can get in at this stage - especially if the car's still on its original seals. 

From my own experience (and currently about 70% through getting mine water tight) it will likely be one, or a combination, of any of the below.

- opening rear window seals - likely shrunk and letting water by - water runs behind the interior trim and settles inside the shell - in my case this was the cause of water sitting behind the rear seats & being under the carpet.

- sunroof drain tubes / holes - either a split in the rubbers or rust in the metal part - tended to result in damp patches above the rear windows in the headlining but can also drain down into the shell.  Also check they're not blocked.

- sunroof frame / seal - as above - if split let's moisture through and will seep into the headlining.

- sunroof handle seals - the small ring seals dry out - although if this is an issue you'll notice water on the handle itself.

- windscreen seal - if shrunk / split will allow water in behind the dash and normally trickle down into the front footwells.

- front door body seals - in  my case they were slightly shrunk and in heavy rain small amounts can get past the seal and into the front / rear footwells.

- front door drain holes - make sure they're not blocked with crud - if they are it will cause water to drain back into the car.

- tailgate seal - not likely your issue (unless you've got water in the rear) - but as with the other seals if shrunk water will get past.

- tailgate fixings - again as above - seals may have gone around things like the wiper mechanism, washer jet, lock, spoiler or slatted panel fixings.  Sealing these up prevents water ingress.

- aerial base - although this will normally be noticed by dripping from the interior light fitting.

There's also a few body / panel areas listed in the thread below:

subrown

great response, thanks alex.I'll investigate some of these.....

SootySport

Have you check the coolant level lately?   If it’s dropping,  the heater matrix may be leaking.

Telf

I had major issues with water ingress( I'm in that linked thread). 

If it's in the foot well it's worth taking the seats out and removing the carpet. Check the sound proofing/lagging. It will be soaked and won't dry easily. It holds loads of water. I had to remove mine and put old towels to soak the water up which I had to ring out after rain.

I was concerned about the floor rotting out so put up with it for a few years. 

If you don't mind the noise take the carpet out , check the floor and refit the seats . Cut some high density foam to fit and cover with nice floor mats. It's easy to dry the floor then when it inevitably leaks again.

jackherer

If you take the carpet out and leave the soundproofing on the bulkhead the throttle pedal eventually starts to cut into the soundproofing and then catches in it keeping the throttle wide open which can be dangerous.