• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Radiator thermoswitch...

bacardincoke

Apparently my engines a XU9JA D6B, 1989 1.9 GTI non-cat.

I've been trying to get a thermoswitch for the radiator and for every seller I approach I get a different answer.

Even providing the chassis number and reg has thrown up different results.

Anyhow, I've one at the moment, a Cambiare VE709025 which again some say suits my car and others say doesn't.

It seems to hinge on the temperature values.

The Cambiare states on it - 84/79° and 88/83°

Below is a snap from the Haynes manual.

Will the Cambiare work properly with these values?

thermo switch specs.JPG

PhilNW

bacardincoke

Cheers for that... The switch on mines so badly corroded and chewed if there were any numbers on it, they're illegible now.

It's also without any coloured band so presumably is an aftermarket one that has been changed at some point, so I can't even assume it was a correct replacement.

The 97° and 101° values you use are quite a bit off those on the switch I've been told suits, will using lower values just mean my fan kicks on/off sooner or will it cause more serious problems? Presumably different values are used for a reason.

PhilNW

I have got a D6B .9 non cat engine in mine with a switch 97/92 and 101/96 stamped on the side which I believe is for the low and high speed on/off settings  

See comments in the quoted post from Welshpug and Tom Fenton (GTI gurus !! )!re temp settings

welshpug

your Cambiare unit will be switching on and off before the thermostat even opens fully, standard thermostat was 89 degrees!   its common to find an 83 degree themostat in there which will allow you to use a slightly lower switching point but not quite that low!

looks like 1264 27 is the Cambiare VE709025, which whilst listed for a "205"   I doubt is listed specifically for the gti.

1264 45 is the typical GTI thermoswitch, if you google the part number you'll find the Autodoc listing with pictures and details of the switch, its for the later cars with the JPT type blue plug.

1264 44 is the purple band switch that cuts off at 87, so ideal if you have the 83 degree thermostat.

bacardincoke

This is the type I currently have, the corresponding plug on the car looks to be original to it and part of the factory loom.

I've since gone to work on it with a wire brush and while the markings are still very faint, they seem to be as follows -

27H6

and probably most importantly, 97 and 101

Found an old stock one on eBay, very helpful seller who answered the phone and confirmed it's a fit... Looks like problem solved, cheers everyone!

3.jpg

2.jpg

bacardincoke

Been fixing some shoddy wiring in and around the lights so thought I'd check anything else that seemed to have later, non-factory insulating tape on it.

This is the same thermoswitch connector pictured in the last post and as you can see there's three thinner wires cropped off.

They are incorporated into the same crimped connectors as the larger (same coloured) wires and appear to be factory.

Can anyone shed some light?

thermoswitch wiring.jpg

welshpug

they would have gone into a 5 row connector, which was just a test point.

bacardincoke

Great thanks... useful to have, if they'd still been wired up but not essential either by the sound of it.

Cheers.