• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Skull

XU10J2TE lack of performance in my Activa

Skull

Hello 205 drivers :wacko:

I've joined to get some help with my Citroen Xantia Activa which I acquired over a year ago as a non-runner.

I've repaired some hydraulics and the fuel pump to get it running initially and then due to poor condition/history I replaced cambelt, auxillary belt, fuel filter, ht leads, I got it through the first MoT after 5 years off the road.

So although I'm a member of French Car Forum and have had some help over there it seems that you 205 drivers running this engine are more plentiful so I reckon my chances of getting some extra help/advice on sorting it better in your hands.

Car starts fine, seems to warm up fairly quickly and cooling fans cut in and out fine.

There just isn't much power :( my Xantia HDi is faster.  It will accelerate but just not very fast,  top speed is 115mph but needs winding up to that, 0-60 mph is around 16 seconds !!!

When I changed the timing belt I had trouble with the timing alignment (pulley isn't solid like some Peugeots) so it's possible the timing marks on the pulley are wrong.

It has been to 2 garages since it's been back on the road but neither has discovered the problem, no codes quoted just a list of likely problems including: fuel pressure fluctuating/injectors/Lambda sensor/catalytic converter or ECU (ECU has since been sent away and tested no faults found).

I've read a few threads that indicate the crank timing can be checked from the flywheel end from a hole near the starter motor but having read the Haynes manual that seems to only be the diesel engine timing procedure?

If anyone can loan me a XU solid cast pulley that I can use, just to fit temporarily to confirm my timing is correct that would be great.

Once I've confirmed the timing is correct I can then see what's else could be causing the power loss..... 

If it's not the timing my next thoughts are the turbo boost solenoid ?  The local turbo guy has tested the actuator line as OK but didn't want to go any further (turbo turns freely on visual inspection and looks in OK condition).

I'm in Darlington, Co Durham if anyone is local?

Please help me find my missing BHP if I can get near the standard 150 I think I'll be happy :)

welshpug

Pin the cam then take the lower pulley off and check the keyway is parallel to the block, pointing backwards iirc, pin hole is 70 degrees up from there.

no pin holes in the flywheel on an XU, only the XUD TU TUD, some but not all EW engines

welshpug

oh, and check if its making boost, should be half a bar from memory, they are only 150 bhp, meant as an interim load lugger before the xu10j4r was launched.

Skull

Cheers Mei 

Thanks for confirming my thoughts about the lack of a flywheel timing hole. 

There is a lack of boost but I presume that could be because the timing is out. 

I'm also going to bypass the turbo boost solenoid with a simple T piece to see if that makes any difference, as I understand it the ECU limits the boost to 1 bar so it should be safe to try on my car.

Tom Fenton

Put a gauge on it and check what boost it is making first of all.

I'm not that keen on your t piece idea, that will allow all the boost signal to the wastegate actuator straight out to atmosphere so that the wastegate will never open, result unlimited boost. Yes the ECU should cut but its asking for trouble. The actuator I think provides about 5 psi boost then the control valve bleeds signal off to allow up to around 7.5psi (0.5 bar).

Skull

Thanks Tom I understand it's a bit amateur so not recommended, I'll get the timing checked and see if I can find a cheap gauge to see if it's making any boost .....

wld

I hope you solved the problem by now, nevertheless it might benefit others.

I've seen several with the wastegate stuck (open or closed) after long term immobilization. You can check if the rod is moving freely (from under the car - never work under a hydra pneumatic Citroen not supported).

It's easier to just unplug the hose that goes from the boost solenoid to the wastegate and test in second or third gear. There should be a huge improvement in power if the turbo is ok.

You can replace the bad boost solenoid with a VW one or even better with a manual boost controller (dawes device type) and set it to 0.8bar. Turbo will spool much faster and it will give a nice boost in power (~175bhp) and torque (280Nm) without any drawbacks. Do not go over 0.8bar (12psi) on a stock Xantia.

Skull

Cheers wld,

I haven't delved any further but have now got a cheap boost gauge to fit and see if there's any boost at all, I've also bought a cheap manual boost controller (bleed type) but that's for further down the road as it didn't even come with any instructions!

The actuator rod is moving by hand, but doesn't move on start up (like my diesel one) inlet compressor spins by hand and looks in good condition.  I will try your suggestion of just disconnecting the boost line that goes from the boost solenoid to the wastegate actuator.

Car is off road at the moment so there may be a delay in getting back to you all .......

Skull
On 11/13/2019 at 8:46 PM, Skull said:

Hello 205 drivers :wacko:

I've joined to get some help with my Citroen Xantia Activa which I acquired over a year ago as a non-runner.

When I changed the timing belt I had trouble with the timing alignment (pulley isn't solid like some Peugeot's) so it's possible the timing marks on the pulley are wrong.

If anyone can loan me a XU solid cast pulley that I can use, just to fit temporarily to confirm my timing is correct that would be great.

Once I've confirmed the timing is correct I can then see what's else could be causing the power loss..... 

Please help me find my missing BHP if I can get near the standard 150 I think I'll be happy :)

I wasn't able to borrow a solid pulley from anywhere else so eventually took the plunge andgot one from Spoox   ..... slip measured about 25 degrees which would explain my lack of boost, fitted a cheap boost gauge,  MoT and road test awaits (no rush at the moment with Coronaviruses restrictions).

Thanks for your tips 205GTidrivers.com :D

Pulley timing error.JPG

Slipped 25 degree.JPG

Edited by Skull
factual error

camgti

Also try having a look at your turbo actuator. Make sure it can move. They also are known for having issues with the boost solenoid. You can bypass it ( leave it plugged in) to test if your getting boost. 

As Tom says, get a gauge on it. 

Skull

Cheers Cameron

yes as Tom suggested I've put a temporary gauge on it and static revving the engine it starts to count now 1 or 2 but obviously will need a load on the engine before it reads full boost - I can feel the intake pipe start to suck as well so looks as though it's fixed :rolleyes: got to sort a side airbag warning light out and then get it MoT'd and back on the road ....soon be April and hopefully Coronaviruses restrictions get relaxed ....  

camgti

That sounds promising. 

Check the gauge once moving. The ecu and solenoid are designed to give Constant Torque hence the CT name of the engine. The boost solenoid works by slowing the response of the turbo so you achieve surges of power. Eg, floor it at 2000rpm and boost comes in slowly up to about 5-6psi. Bypass it with a boost controller and you can hit 10-12psi by 2500rpm. 

Spend the money on a good EBC and you should be able to run 12psi all day. (They can run 14.5 but are just blowing hot air). A good one will show live boost, record peak boost during driving and allow you to set a boost limit and also control the pressure at which the wastegate opens. 

If you want another great gain fit a 2.08v cam and that will net you a nice 180hpish. Coupled with a better exhaust knocking on 200. Its plenty for the chassis and really wakes them up. 

• Like 1

Skull

MoT'd today and passed

A short blast home and turbo is now working (saw 9 psi on my cheap gauge) .... but now need some grippier tyres Uniroyal RainExpert 3 on the front understeer bad on an Activa in the dry :unsure:

Edited by Skull

welshpug

or maybe you were just going too fast :lol:

Skull

Mei 

No that couldn't have happened ..... EVER :rolleyes: