• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

odd noise from rear of car

Telf

Whilst driving around iI'e noticed an odd thumping noise from the rear of the car- appears to be in the vicinity of the boot. My other half says I should let the hostage out the boot!

When parked with the handbrake off i have vigorously  bounced the rear of the car and cant hear any odd noises. I've done this by standing on the lip of the boot when its open and bouncing the rear . I've also tried standing on the drivers and passengers door seal area and rocking the car.

It all sounds normal. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm hearing. anybody experienced this?

Edited by Telf

Telf

Maybe the spare wheel. I think I'll remove it for a day and see if it makes any difference. My main concern was a beam issue but it doesn't creak or groan no matter how hard I bounce the car

Callum

If its only happening while its moving it could be wheel bearing related, check wheel bolts are tight as well maybe 

And tyres for something stuck in them also stub axle nut 

Telf

Well it's no the spare. It's not the bearings. At least pretty sure it's not I'd have heard it in the rolling road. It's bloody annoying . Maybe they are all like it and I've forgotten?!?

Callum

I have a squeaking noise on mine I'm sure it's the rear trims are the clips don't hold them tight onto the body and they as distorted 

jackherer
4 hours ago, Telf said:

At least pretty sure it's not I'd have heard it in the rolling road.

On the rear? It was tightly strapped down on the rollers so the rear won't have really moved.

4 hours ago, Telf said:

Maybe they are all like it and I've forgotten?!? 

I didn't hear anything unusual from the rear any time I've been in your car.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:03 PM, Telf said:

My other half says I should let the hostage out the boot!

Sounds like the fuel smell is OK then?

Thijs_Rallye

Are the silent blocks between the boot floor and axle still ok? They tend to split at a certain age.

jackherer

Everything is brand new so it wont be something that has worn out unless it was very premature!

It's probably worth spanner checking everything now it's got some miles on it.

barneys66

I had a knock at the back of mine which can be heard at 4/5 seconds into this video - couldn't replicate it by bouncing the car myself, but then don't think you can transmit anywhere near the same force as opposed to hitting even a mild bump in the road.  Travel maybe, but not speed.

Mine turned out to be a loose shock bolt which I found by grabbing the shock itself on a wiggle test..

hoodygoodwood

Years ago when i last had a 205 i remember having to carefully adjust the latch block for the rear hatch lock and the rubber wedges on each side to keep the tailgate quiet . The last time i refurbed some alloys i fitted them and tightened the wheel bolts and a couple of weeks later noticed some knocking and found some of the bolts loose , they hadn't worked loose it was just the paint/powder coat giving a little and allowing some movement . 

• Thanks 1

Telf

I actually think it might be the boot. I wonder if I have fitted the rubber stops incorrectly... Does anybody have a picture of them installed?

It's not the wheels I had them off the other day