• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Micheke

Needle in a haystack

Micheke

Hi I'm looking for help locating good reliable diagrams for a project. I have a 93 1.9 205 GTi and I can't get her started. Looking for diagrams to help me know where things should go especially for the brain, fuses, relay switches and wiring

hoodygoodwood

The Haynes manual has some good wiring diagrams , they will take a while to understand but they can be useful once you know how to read the numbers printed on each wire . If everything is connected and has not been messed around with it might be best just to do some basic checks as there are some common faults that will stop it starting . If the starter just clicks when you turn the key its likely to be the thin wire from the spade connector on the back of the starter all the way to the ignition barrel via the infamous brown underbonnet connector block . If it does turn over but does not start check for fuel and spark , the fuel pump can fail - (you should be able to feel it vibrating ) with the key turned you should have 12 V at the pump wiring . Try to get a spare tachy relay to swap out if necessary . The most common cause of no spark would be the dizzy fly lead , the cable comes out of the side of the Bosch dizzy and breaks internally because of the wire flexing , while someone turns the engine over wiggle the lead about and it might fire up . Get a spare ignition amp to swap out as well . Check all the earths , the cable from battery negative terminal goes to bodywork and to the gearbox , there are several earth blocks - one behind each headlamp - all connections should be rust free and tight . Have a visual check of all the Bosch sensor connectors , there is an internal rubber seal but it is possible for damp to get in and corrode the connectors , there should be a rectangular locking wire on every one - if its missing there might be a bad or corroded connection . The TPS , ign amp and AFM plugs cannot be swapped around but the 2 way plugs for water temperature , SAD and gearbox reverse switch can be mixed up - make sure the blue connector is on the water temp sensor on back of thermostat housing .

petert

which engine?

D6B or DKZ? I’ve got the 405 DKZ manual, which is basically identical.

Edited by petert