• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

artois7

Identify calipers and advice on 1.9 rebuilds

artois7

Hi all,

A few months back I purchased a set of "1.9 calipers and disks" from a very renowned person in these circles, sadly I failed to notice at the time that these are not 1.9 calipers at all:

75380266_10156293503275946_2103877918785

I bought hubs, disks and calipers together from a track car that was being broken. The hubs are definitely 1.9 items and the disks are as far as I know, because the 1.6 ones would be obviously wrong with the increased offset, right?

Presumably this set up was run as is but I'm not 100% sure what they are. They look like 1.6 GTI calipers to me, I asked on the FB forums and didn't get much in the way of a conclusion. They require much longer fitting bolts (same as rear calipers?) to mount to the 1.9 calipers, which indicates 1.6 as well I believe..?

I do have two sets of Girling calipers here, but I can't find a good guide on rebuilding. I'm a total novice as far as brakes are concerned, how hard is it!? I have a compressor to get the pistons out, they don't look to be too complicated..

welshpug

they are bendix 1.6 or base model calipers, they will work with a 1.9 disc if the pad carrier is the wider type for the vented disc.

as for a rebuild guide just fire up YouTube, other than the intricacies of handbrake mechanisms they will all use the same principles of a square piston seal and a lipped dust seal, either internally installed in the bore or an external groove.

welshpug

i woul highly recommend using hydraulic pressure over air pressure to extract the pistons, air can fire the pistons out at a fair rate due to the compression of air, whereas a fluid does not compress much hence does not release a huge amount of stored energy.

DamirGTI

Really not hard to do caliper rebuild , practice on some scrap caliper first if you're unsure/inexperienced ie. never done one before .

As Mei said , lots of step by step "how to" videos on youtube to help you out during the processes . Almost always hardest/tricky bit is "feeding" the dust seal back inside the caliper groove , the rest is easy .

Compressed air can be used to push the piston out , but do wear some safety gloves and protective glasses while working .. when using compressed air always use something in between the piston and the caliper outer end to block and prevent the piston flying off or pinching your fingers .. old worn brake pad , an piece of wood , aluminum or brass works just fine .

Grease gun can be used also (but makes an real mess to clean up afterwards) , or even you can fit it onto the car , open the bleed nipple to gravity fill the cylinder with brake fluid then close and press the piston out by pumping the brake pedal but again with something in-between the piston and caliper end .. i've done a few directly on the car without fully dismantling the calipers and working on them on the bench ... it really is that easy once you gain practice .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Ozymandis

Those are 1.6 GTi Bendix calipers for the 1.6 GTi set-up.

They fit on a 1.9 GTi hub and disc set-up.

No rocket science in doing a caliper,  look for corrosion, scoring or other damage to the sealing surfaces of the piston, and any damaged threads. Get a tub of red rubber grease and cram the piston boots full of it. I have Lancia calipers ( instant corroding alloy cheese ) from the seventies that are still as free as the day I did them back in the eighties.

1.9 Iron calipers dont have all the corroded, siezed, snapped or stripped threads of the alloy Bendix type, or the worn slider bores, pad location etc  that make em "CLACK" first application of the brakes when You reverse direction of travel of the car.

Turn your air pressure down, or use a foot pump, as others warn, they  fly across the bloody garage and smash windows and stun passing dogs if your not prepared.

artois7

Thanks guys - the forum is still infinitely more useful than the FB groups!

I suspect what I'm going to do is continue with these calipers whilst rebuilding one of the sets of 1.9s I have, that way it takes the pressure off.

I mounted one caliper up using a pair of rear caliper bolts I had lying around the unit - seemed to be OK / close enough?! Are they the same from factory?

barneys66

Has the vendor refused to take them back, or compensate you at least..?

Ozymandis
23 hours ago, artois7 said:

Thanks guys - the forum is still infinitely more useful than the FB groups!

When I was a sniggering schoolboy FB =fanny batter,  are they a bunch of cnuts then?:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

artois7
20 hours ago, barneys66 said:

Has the vendor refused to take them back, or compensate you at least..?

Contact has now been made so hopefully this will get resolved..

Edited by artois7
  • Like 1