• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

Mi16 Hydraulic lifter disassembly

B1ack_Mi16

So I started going through all my spare Mi16 lifters now to "overhaul" them and to once and for all throw away the ones that are in too bad condition.

Anyway, getting the piston out of the lifters seem fairly easy, how do I get the smaller piston and spring out of the main piston?

I have done it before, but I really can't remember it beeing a problem?

Are they just totally stuck due to the environmental temperature of 8 deg C in my garage these days? 

I tried pulling them apart with pliers gripping the inner smaller piston, but it doesn't prove to work, even trying to open the ball-valve now and then in case the vacum is hard to overcome.

kXfY1u0.jpg

SweetBadger

Use a lifter whacker...

Piece of wood 1m long, 50mm wide, 10-15mm thick.

Bore circular recess in end of wood just under the diameter of the lifter.

Fit lifter in recess, hold other end of wood and use it to whack lifter against block of wood. 

petert

Push on the ball valve with a pin/needle, as you lifter up the inner. This will release the suction.

Edited by petert

B1ack_Mi16

I did push on the ball but it was hard to do it at the exact same time as I try to pull them apart of course.

Maybe I need to take them inside for some more heat before I try again.

Andy

Hmm. Slightly surprised. The hard bit is usually getting the valve to release itself from the lifter. Hence the above short, sharp shock advice . Once removed, I found that the valve dismantled into its three pieces quite readily. ( larger piston, smaller piston with ball valve and spring )  Try gently clamping the larger piston between the jaws of a soft faced vice ( mind the  circular spring ) , then release the ball valve with the tip of a very fine screwdriver and pull out the smaller piston .

SweetBadger
10 hours ago, SweetBadger said:

Use a lifter whacker...

Piece of wood 1m long, 50mm wide, 10-15mm thick.

Bore circular recess in end of wood just under the diameter of the lifter.

Fit lifter in recess, hold other end of wood and use it to whack lifter against block of wood. 

Sorry just re-read post - thought you were having trouble getting the piston assembly out of the lifter - hence this advice.

As per Andy's post, never had an issue getting the piston apart once it was out of the lifter.

B1ack_Mi16

Will have a go in the vice. Can't remember it beeing a problem myself as I did 16 lifters just a couple of months ago.

B1ack_Mi16

Seem like one of the batches just never really had an oil change as they were more or less stuck.

Got them out with pliers and use of the vice.

On the next set of 16 I could just take the inner parts apart by hand, so really a big difference.