• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SootySport

Driveshaft Removal

SootySport

I’m about to remove both driveshatfts from the gearbox but I read somewhere the diff could drop out of place.  So is this true?

pugdamo

Iv never had this issue, wouldn't say its impossible just very unlikely. 

jackherer

I believe it only applies to very early 205s, possibly only ones with the laid back 'suitcase' style (Douvrin) engine.

SootySport

Looks like I'll be ok then with a 1990 car then,. Thanks.

jackherer
12 hours ago, SootySport said:

Looks like I'll be ok then with a 1990 car then,. Thanks.

Yes 100% a 1990 will be fine.

Kitch

Hi guys, I've got a BE1 in a 1983 car, and the diff seems to have fallen apart!

It's been off the road for a few years, driveshafts have been out a while. Got engine running the other day, completely forgetting that it had no driveshafts in (car in on a dolly currently). Pretty sure it wasn't in gear, but of course, the only way I'd know for sure is to use a time machine!

Basically, the output splines seem to have vanished. I can see a planet gear just sitting loosely on a shaft, but no splines. The inner CV joint splines won't engage, either.

Haven't heard any banging or clanking. I did drive the car around the yard prior to taking it apart, so I know it works (or worked). I'm assuming running the engine for that period of time without the shafts in has broken the diff?

Thanks