• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DSYKES5500

Interior wiring fire

DSYKES5500

Hi all,

While checking for a bad vibration when the engine is between 2000 and 3000rpm inside the car, I pinpointed a big part of it to the sunroof glass. If I push up on the glass, the vibration is almost gone. I thought that I'd push the glass back to check the dash area for more vibrations. When I pulled the sunroof handle down, grey smoke came out of the handle mechanism and it smelled bad, very toxic. I quickly turned off the engine and pulled the positive off the battery. I removed the roof console and found that two of the wires had completely burnt away from the plug that goes into the ir receiver module. The plug was burnt and the console had started to melt. This looked old but the wires must have been touching now and then causing a short. 

I cut the cables and insulated them. 

Could the car have gone up if left unnoticed? Will the insulation tape be enough?  I've a Toad alarm so the module is no use. 

20191031_160102.jpg

20191031_160251.jpg

20191031_164444.jpg

jackherer
1 hour ago, DSYKES5500 said:

Could the car have gone up if left unnoticed?

Yes, it could have been a lot worse:

DSYKES5500

Wow! Thanks for the link, that could have been curtains for the car. That was so lucky to notice that puff of smoke!

jackherer

Yeah, it's lucky you were even in the car!

The remote sensor is always powered up so this can happen at any time.

Everyone with a phase two 205 needs to keep an eye on this, even if you don't have a working remote control the receiver is still there and constantly live.

I'm going to check mine later today, I think it's OK but I haven't looked for a while.

A small fuse added somewhere should stop this happening, the remote sender must only consume a tiny amount of power normally so if it starts burning/melting the fuse will blow. I remember some  discussion of this a while ago but I didn't actually do it...

pugdamo

I would also like to know what size fuse to put in, I had a similar story, I moved my car to get another car out and when I got back in mine there was smoke coming from the roof console, in a panic I just ripped out the roof console and it was a melted mess in there. Iv replaced everything now but would like a fuse for a bit of piece of mind. 

jackherer

A tiny value slow blow fuse would be ideal.

Without measuring I don't know what current the receiver drains so I can't say an exact value for the fuse but I imagine it is a tiny amount so the fuse can be a very low value too. Also as it only drains a significant current briefly (while locking/unlocking) the fuse can be a smaller value because it takes a sustained high current load to blow it.

The bottom line is that the fuse needs to be small enough to blow before the wire melts which wont be hard to achieve.

It's hard to believe that Peugeot built these with an un-fused (or under-fused) circuit in such a vulnerable position.

Did you replace all the wiring in yours? If so can you describe where it is routed and where the other end plugs into the rest of the car please?

pugdamo

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I could just go as small as possible and worst case the fuse will pop, then I'll go slightly higher. With the wiring, I spliced mine in above the head lining, I got hold of another section of loom and the connector, another IR receiver and the trims (I broke those pulling them out). I'm not sure how far back the loom goes, I guess it goes straight back into the control unit for the central locking and bypasses the fuse board. 

jackherer

You're probably right about the control unit, that would be a good location for a fuse too.

I imagine it just uses a few hundred mA so a 500mA fuse might be enough and those wires can carry a few amps so they'll be protected by it.

stanz

Just posted in another thread about the same happening to mine while I was driving. I'm putting it down to condensation but can't be 100% sure. Past two times I'd used the car before that I'd noticed that the passenger door wasn't working on  the central locking. Not sure if that is related, My central locking is controlled by the alarm so not sure if It's linked up to the ir module

Callum

Had a look through the thread posted above but couldnt see an answer, is there a precaution like using a plastic bag as a protective membrane I can do instead of fitting a fuse? 

welshpug

I'd do both!

jackherer

Unless it is 100% sealed condensation will form inside it and you'll have a much worse problem.