• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnyma22

Steering column safety, will a collapsible hub/boss be sufficient?

johnyma22

I was recommended that having a collapsible steering column (in case of collision) is a worthwhile upgrade.  The logic is that the standard steering wheel can end up skewering the driver.

1. Is it true the standard column/steering wheel setup is a common fault of fatalities on head on collisions in 205s?  I wasn't aware of this... 

2. Is there actually more safety going with something like a Momo hub/boss?  I'd rather keep the standard steering wheel but I have inspectors to please.. 

welshpug

1, never heard that, quite unlikely as its a 2 piece column not a single bar like old american stuff.

2, less, as its bare aluminium in front of you.

if NCAP rating is a concern, a 205 really isn't for you, though its far from the worst old tin box out there.

barneys66

Here you go - column is fine :D.

Understand where significant others may be coming from, but it's not the 205's forte.

Thijs_Rallye

A 205 is the kind of car if you f*ck up, your family can use it as your coffin as well.

johnyma22

Agreed, the consensus then is that a collapsible steering column is not a worthwhile investment.

Thijs_Rallye

Like Meiron said, this isn't applicable to a 205. A collapsible steering column is something which applies to really old vehicles with a solid straight steering column, like a transit MK1. (see pic below)

image.png.f2a3b2da437c47607a65f6e3904bfa34.png

The 205 has two u joints in the column which circumvent the column entering the vehicle in case of a frontal crash.

Edited by Thijs_Rallye
added pic

Telf

To be fair I had a head on smash in a 205gti about 2001. Went from 60mph to zero in the space of a few inches. Actually I ploughed into a Renault savanna ?!? The car was totalled but the steering column didn't impinge on the drivers space. I got thrown into the steering wheel and had a nice bruise across my chest , also the ignition key got wedged in my knee. I did hobble away.  

I think as with any smash it all depends on the angle and the immovability of the object you hit. I may not have faired so well against a bridge support nor a truck!

Ozymandis

Back when the SVA test was introduced I was building  cars which had to be re-designed to comply with the new rules and I read up on columns etc.

If the column has two universal joints a front end crash will actualy pull the wheel and column away from You, up to a certain point depending on just how massive Your crash is. No "spearing" to worry about with the 205 arrangement, it is in effect collapsible.

You still needed a collapsible boss for the test because of impact injuries from Your inertia splatting You on the wheel, or it coming in to hit You.

A common problem was people gripping the wheel tight at impact, and breaking their fingers and thumbs, it was reckoned a collapsible boss lessened this too.

Their was a special bit about the key etc and anything in the Humans vicinity being hard or angular.

I`ve been a front seat passenger in a 205 that hit the central reservation Armco at 80`ish, on the M6 going to Scotland,  we were completely unharmed and it had about 2 feet missing from each end of the car, its "the luck of the draw" as to the angles of impact etc, but a collapsible boss sounds a good idea to me.