• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

eafertynyne

Electric Window Problems

eafertynyne

Hi All,

My passenger side electric window is playing up…

It goes down, but not up.

The passenger switch works fine the on driver’s window.

Swapping the ‘good’ driver’s side switch to the passenger side and it still only goes down, not up.

The connector to the motor shows 12v when the switch is pushed both up and down.

Connecting the motor directly to the battery and the window goes up and down fine.

So, can anyone advise what the problem might be please?

Thanks.

jackherer

Have you tried swapping the passenger switch on the drivers side for the good drivers switch?

I think it relies on that one being OK for the actual passenger switch to work but I'm not 100% sure without looking at the wiring diagram.

If it's not that check the grounds, because it reverses the polarity to go the other way the grounds have to go through the switches too, not just the +12v.

eafertynyne

Ah, good point... I don't think I tested the driver's side passenger switch! All the wiring seems to be OK.

I'll swap the driver's side switches and see what happens.

Thanks a lot.

SRDT

I had this problem more than once and so far cleaning the inside of the passenger switch solved it.

ob_8e1aa3_30-1-leve-vitre-electriques.jp

eafertynyne

Thanks for the diagram... I 'think' I know what to do now. Just need the weather to stay dry this weekend.

Veilsidebr
On 10/2/2019 at 4:01 PM, SRDT said:

I had this problem more than once and so far cleaning the inside of the passenger switch solved it.

ob_8e1aa3_30-1-leve-vitre-electriques.jp

Great one, i am facing a power window issue and with the help of a multimeter, i could test all connections against each other and concluded that the 2 ground wires at each driver's side switches are having circuit with the power contact at the passenger's side, strangely!

Still diagnosing as i believe this might be a cable related issue, maybe they melted somewhere.

By the way, i tried finding this diagram on internet and found a PDF with a much lower quality...can you share you whole document? I also tried finding the book to purchase, no luck...

Thanks!

davemar

Funny I was dealing with a similar problem the other day. The passenger window would only go down, but not up. This was as the clouds were getting dark, so not a good thing!

The passenger side switch relies on the driver's side switch (for the passenger window) to provide a route to ground. So there's quite a long route across the car via the two switches to get the current through, so any iffy connection on the way can be enough to stop it working well. I had to resort to connecting the battery directly to the motor to get it up.

The next day I tried again, as it started to work fine without me doing anything, so still a bit of a mystery. I suspect just poor contacts somewhere that improved with the switches being removed and replaced probably cleaning the contacts themselves.

SRDT

When contact cleaner don't work a quick fix for this exact situation is to remove the passenger switch and use jumper wires, as long as the window is going down you know that you still have +12v and one ground at the connector.

jackherer
13 hours ago, davemar said:

The passenger side switch relies on the driver's side switch (for the passenger window) to provide a route to ground. So there's quite a long route across the car via the two switches to get the current through, so any iffy connection on the way can be enough to stop it working well. I had to resort to connecting the battery directly to the motor to get it up.

Ideally it would use relays, it's amazing how well they work without any really. There are quite a few circuits on 205s that would benefit from relays and presumably don't have any as a cost cutting measure. E.G. headlights, starter solenoid.

SRDT

You can use relays or buy some fancy "window accelerator module" (guess what's inside) but then why not simply use a one touch power window module?

The Xantia 6 pin module is easy to install and only reacts to a short push so if you keep your finger on the switch the window will move as usual.

On my 309 I used diodes to keep the wiring 100% stock but you could take a ground nearby.

5a805711e33c5_passagerEng.JPG.fd1645c430

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Much easier is fit the Renault switch, cut off a tab and the Peugeot wiring plugs straight in and you have one touch or momentary.