• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Phil205

Sills and replacement panels

Phil205

The garage have identified that the following need to be replaced. Does anyone know if the following can be bought or do they need be fabricated by the welder / Body Shop :-

Both inner and outer sills
Both rear quarter lower panels
Both inner rear arches
Both front inner arches and top mount panels

Would anyone know any suppliers that I could try ?

Tom Fenton

I've never seen a 205 bad enough to need all those complete panels. Usually it is small local areas that are needed, and a skilled repaired can make the sections. The only readily available panels are complete pattern outer sills, they fit OK when I have fitted them previously.

DamirGTI

Me too ! guess it's a collision repair rather than rust repair ?

If you can find any 205's at the scrapyard (3d base model will do) chop the needed bodywork parts off the shell and use those for the repair .

New aftermarket parts , from what i've been working with "Klokkerholm" is somehow best for fitments/gaps etc. but much thinner than the OE panels .. and there's just the sills , door skin repair panels , and front sections which can be sourced new via aftermarked body parts .. the rest is pretty much OE stuff .

As Tom said , repair panels sections can be made out of sheet steel too ... this is how i fixed mine .

D

Phil205
1 hour ago, Tom Fenton said:

I've never seen a 205 bad enough to need all those complete panels. Usually it is small local areas that are needed, and a skilled repaired can make the sections. The only readily available panels are complete pattern outer sills, they fit OK when I have fitted them previously.

Thanks Tom,

The garage suggested I check if I could source the panels. It is going to a (different) body shop on Friday so I can get their take on it.

Both places suggested I check if replacement panels are available.

I am no expert, but the rust looks quite bad. It's not been in an accident, just in need of a lot of work.

I would like to get it fully road worthy, but might not be worth fixing ??

The bizarre thing is that it passed an MOT in August. They can't have checked it very well.

DamirGTI

Can you make a few shots of these rusted areas ?

Almost everything can be fixed bodywork wise , depending on how much you're willing to pay/invest in the repair .. if it's that bad , re-shell can be another option too .

D

Phil205
1 hour ago, DamirGTI said:

Can you make a few shots of these rusted areas ?

Almost everything can be fixed bodywork wise , depending on how much you're willing to pay/invest in the repair .. if it's that bad , re-shell can be another option too .

D

I'll get some pictures on Friday and post.

It looks quite bad to me.

Leslie green

Arie plonk I believe now does the lower part of the rear 1/4 panel that joins on to the sill , as said a car that bad isn't really worth fixing as most have survived very well and a reshell as suggested may be the way forward with a good base 3dr shell . There are still loads of good cars out there might be best to get another and break /sell that one.

Edited by Leslie green

Phil205
20 hours ago, Leslie green said:

Arie plonk I believe now does the lower part of the rear 1/4 panel that joins on to the sill , as said a car that bad isn't really worth fixing as most have survived very well and a reshell as suggested may be the way forward with a good base 3dr shell . There are still loads of good cars out there might be best to get another and break /sell that one.

Hi,

Who is Arie plonk ?

Phil205
On 9/23/2019 at 3:51 PM, Tom Fenton said:

Thanks Tom,

Where would I get complete pattern outer sills from, if we decide to go ahead ?

Leslie green

Phil its Arie pronk sorry my bad spelling  , he makes obsolete panels  and can be contacted through face book under  EMPA Peugeot 205 & Renault 5 gt turbo parts He lives in the netherlands but will post here no worries 

Panels for these cars are surprisingly scarse I found  ,I know they don't rust that bad but are a fair age now where restoration is happening more and more . Eurocarparts used to do wings and front panels and bonnets but think the bonnets are obsolete now .

Get some pics up see what you have ?

Edited by Leslie green

Telf

Before any place tells you it's terrible and panels need replacement have a good look through the restoration section. You will see the common areas that need doing and be able to judge how bad yours really is.

Edited by Telf

Phil205
On 9/23/2019 at 6:56 PM, Phil205 said:

I'll get some pictures on Friday and post.

It looks quite bad to me.

20190927_115008.jpg

20190928_154620.jpg

20190928_154636.jpg

Edited by Phil205

Tom Fenton

Not untypical. I’d say it’s had a bump at some point in its life for the headlamp panel to look like that. An easy repair if you have a spot welder, the headlamp panels are easily available.

The inner wing is a common rot spot but again an easy repair, why on earth anyone would want to disturb factory seams is beyond me when all that is required is a nicely made repair piece butt welded in.

Rear quarter is bad because someone has previously bodged it with filler. If it was repaired properly a few years ago it would not be bad now. The closing piece in the rear arch again is quite common but easy to repair.

The hole in the sill is not as common but as said previously, the sill is available complete and again once the prep is done an easy panel to fit with the spot welder.

None of that would phase me personally, but I cut my teeth on Minis, which often needed that kind of scale of repairs yearly for the MOT test. I would buy sills and a headlamp panel and repair the rest.

Phil205
25 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

Thanks Tom,

Do you know where to get the sills and headlamp panel from ?

Edited by Phil205

Telf

Phil the damage to the sill and arch and 1/4 panel looks similar to mine- have a look at my Resto thread and it will show you the work required to repair it all.