• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stewal

205 pas rack

stewal

Hi, I have significant play in the steering which is spoiling the drive now.

it appears to be play in the rack but in spite of a couple of leads they no longer seem to be available in right hand drive.

is the concensus that they have to be rebuilt rather than replaced now - I just dont fancy the wait for rebuildinf whilst the car is in bits.

cheers.

jackherer

You can easily adapt a 306/Xsara PAS rack to fit a 205.

If you search on here for Xsara VTS rack you'll find loads of info about how to do it.

The best one to get is a Xsara VTS rack because they are only 2.4 or 2.6 turns lock to lock (depending on year) but they are rare and hard to find now. As I understand it all 306 and Xsara racks are a bit quicker than the 205 PAS rack though.

jackherer

BTW When you say the play is in the rack could it be the inner track rod ball joints or is it definitely the rack itself?

stewal

Thanks for yhe reply: yep pretty sure its the rack, was hoping it was the uj in the column as an easy fix but movement of the steering wheel is being transferred immediately  to the shaft below the uj but not to the wheels.

jackherer

That could still be the inner track rod ball joints by the sounds of it?

115069727_Screenshot2019-09-14at10_35_33.png.98d33255623f5f9fea4644ade705cc03.png

They are easily replaced with the rack in place. You can buy the entire kit above or individual parts, there are four ball joints in total, two each side so make sure they are good before you change the whole rack.

• Like 1

stewal

Many thanks for this: I think you may be onto something as the mileage isnt sky high so would not expect the rack to be so worn.

i was only looking at the joints I could see, 

so will take the gaitors off and take a look. Cheers.

• Like 1

Ozymandis

Put it on full lock,

right hand down,

lay under on passenger side,

grasp the rack through the gaiter, 

push and pull it front to back,

if theres play between the rack body and the actual rack you will feel it and it will be the bush thats pressed into the rack casting.

To check the inner ball joint grasp the rod and the end of the rack

Push and pull the rod in and out and any play at that point is the inner joint knackered.

stewal

Many thanks for this: I think you may be onto something as the mileage isnt sky high so would not expect the rack to be so worn.

i was only looking at the joints I could see, 

so will take the gaitors off and take a look. Cheers.

stewal

Hi Jay many thanks: conducted the test as above and much to my surprise everything was rock solid.

Had another poke around and found all the play in a second uj on the engine bulkhead side - having lost my haynes manual I thought the only uj was under the dash.

it looks like this is a second short shaft going through the bulkhead and connecting the rack to the internal column.

Am I right in thinking I can release the bolt on top of the rack and on the base of the internal shaft, then take this short shaft out with the massive bulkhead grommet released?

Do you know if replacements are still available.

cheers 

Steve

jackherer

The lower columns including U/Js are available and are replaced as you say.

There is more than one part for 205s though, PAS and non-PAS and also the PAS type is divided into square drive or spline drive where it goes onto the pinion on the rack.

Ozymandis

Common fault easy enough to fix, beware of the different types.

If its PAS then it will be one of the spline types rather than a square type, more than one spline type though choose carefully.

If you get a spline type that fits, but has rubber where yours doesnt, then a few blobs of weld lock it together. It would drive and be safe with a rubberised one, but a little of the `crispness` of the steering goes away, the weld brings it back.

When You mentioned the play was in the rack, we all thought you had checked the UJ.

Edited by Ozymandis

stewal

Thanks guys last question honest!

part 410394 is still availble from peugeot for an eye watering near £200, on ebay both 410394 and 410398 are available for £55 any idea what the difference is? They are both for pas which I need and I believe both are splined but wonder if one is the rubber coupling which I would be best off without.

cheers.

Ozymandis

Are You on `Servicebox`?

If not Create an account and then enter your VIN and it will tell You which fits.

They are available on the aftermarket rather than genuine peugeot prices.

98 is GTI type

welshpug

they will both fit as there was only ever splined pas racks, the bushed item is for all non gti cars.

non pas you have splined early type, square later, again with and without the bush.

jackherer

It's true, I always get mixed up with square drive PAS because I have fitted Xsara VTS racks to every 205 I work on!