• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
arkham2008

Non starter

arkham2008

Been doing a lot of work Lately. ignition switch replaced, reworked AFM, engine brown plug replaced. Now all I get at turn of the key is the sound of the solenoid clicking. Any suggestions I've tried every thing I can think of. Any suggestions   

jackherer

Check battery clamps and grounds. Also look carefully at whatever you did with the brown multiplug and the plug on the solenoid.

You can test it by touching a wire directly to the solenoid connector and the battery positive terminal, make sure it isn't in gear first...

arkham2008

Have already tried these thanks, the solenoid is operating moving cog, starter not spinning with out jumper cable? I have cleaned all earthing points and replace battery terminals.

jackherer

If the ignition switch is a new pattern part it might not be that good, I had one that burnt its starter contacts out recently.

arkham2008

How do I check that out?

arkham2008

Do I need an ignition switch from scrappers ? 

Telf

Check the cabling under the dash, the 2 plugs from the ignition barrel and the brown plug under the steering column. 

However if it doesn't work without the jumper it sounds like the wiring between ignition barrel and solenoid. If it started prior to your work I'd look at the multiplug work you have done.

arkham2008

Yeah it started after the brown under bonnet plug work 

arkham2008

All plugs re checked still only getting solenoid clicking Any further ideas?

DamirGTI

Run an separate wire from starter motor solenoid to the fuse box , bypassing all the OE wiring except OE wiring from the fuse box to the steering column/ignition barrel ... and see what happens .

Otherwise , wonder if you've maybe blown the fuse box .. copper link from one to the other terminal within the fuse box .. but then few of the other stuff will stop functioning as well depending what else is connected on the same line on the box .

D

Telf

Test the actual voltage at the solenoid contact as the key is turned . See what it reads. 

jackherer
4 minutes ago, Telf said:

Test the actual voltage at the solenoid contact as the key is turned . See what it reads. 

Make sure it is connected to the starter when you measure the voltage too, if it's disconnected it'll probably just show 12v with no load.

arkham2008

thanks for reply's work away so only just got home will try suggestion in morning if I can find the right fuse (abused by a previous butcher) on list to replace.

Cherrs Graham

arkham2008

Right up date time, I ran a separate lead from fuse to starter nothing, tried from ignition switch to starter nothing. Tore some more hair out. Started again disconnected  new ignition switch reconnected old one ( only key broke) tried again lead from fuse nothing. Removed starter checked on battery under bonnet all working fine. More hair torn out just by chance my 83yr old father stopped by for a visit being a bit off an old school mechanic he got into garage with me I relayed the saga. He asked if I was testing the starter in the position it was in in the car so just to pacify him I sat the starter in right position and yes it didn't f£%&ing work. Apparently he had a similar problem on a Austin 1100 he,d owned a broken wire inside the starter. So with a smug look he took great delight in ribbing me. Now having read a previous thread about using a pug 208gti starter I have sourced and fitted said unit, and she starts at last 

• Like 1