• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DSYKES5500

Problem after starting engine

DSYKES5500

Hi all,

After starting the engine (1.9 8v) for the first time in about a month after giving it a good going over I've got a problem with it.

When it initially started it sounded fantastic, idled at 1000rpm but then it started to creep upwards slowly to just under 2000rpm then there was a metallic sound, the only thing I can compare it to is when the cutting tool starts to touch the metal on a lathe.  Smoke also started to come from the back of the engine (manifold is tight, this might be a red herring as I've cleaned it back there and it could be stuff burning off).

At first I thought that the head was starved of oil.  I waited until it cooled off a bit and removed the rocker cover.  I'd had it off to replace the gasket a week or two back.  It was full of oil, I've attached pictures, using a towel to catch any spills (none, it can go back in the bathroom cupboard :D )

I had a quick look at the oil pressure gauge but it was at the zero side.

I'm stumped now and I daren't start it again, let alone drive it.

Things I've done:

Replaced all coolant hoses with new and added coolant with a 50% mix, no leaks (that I can see)

Replaced the radiator temperature switch and connected it up

Replaced the thermostat

Removed the thermostat housing, cleaned it up and added a gasket (although mine's a '92 and it says pre '91 uses them)

Replaced the vacuum advance unit on the distributor and replaced the o-ring on the distrubutor

Replaced the oil filler and cap and new hoses for the filler to the block, cap to throttle body and cap to air intake hose.

Replaced the air filter

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

20190908_180842.jpg

20190908_180849.jpg

20190908_180929.jpg

20190908_180953.jpg

20190908_181000.jpg

Tom Fenton

Now you have repaired the vac advance you will have more timing than you did before. At idle the engine produces a reasonable vacuum. Retard the ignition timing by slackening the nuts holding the distributor and rotate it towards the front of the car.

DSYKES5500

Thanks Tom, I'll give that a go.

With regards to the metallic noise, I've found this post which is the exact issue I'm having:

Could I have done something a bit wrong with the studs for the rocker cover?  On mine there are two studs and then a bolt (picture attached).

Should the studs be screwed into the head as far as they can go and then torqued up with the nut, 8nm the Haynes manual says.  Or doesn't it matter how far they are in?

20190908_192141.jpg

DSYKES5500

All done!  It was the rocker cover bolts, the one on the right wasn't the right bolt for the job, even though I got it like this, replacing the gasket must have disturbed it.

All assembled, new fuel filer, oil and oil filter, new NGK spark plugs in (it had NGK spark plugs in that were specifically for a Honda Civic 1.6 :( )

The BakerBM hoses (especially the silicone Radiator top hose to oil cooler one) look superb.

Thanks again for all the help Tom :)

Tom Fenton

Well done for sorting it out. Now get down to one of the local meets in it

DSYKES5500

Will do!

Ta-da!

20190910_174552.jpg