• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wld

Longer 5th gear for a mi16

wld

I'm rebuilding a Bx 16V (d6c engine with PeterT inlet camshaft) which will be used mainly as a classic car, but I wouldn't mind some spirited driving when possible. I'd like to drive it during some holidays, and to some remote car shows, so highway driving may be a big part of the trips. As I recall from almost 10 years ago when it was still usable, that was not a very pleasant experience (over 4000rpm at 135km/h or around 85mph)

I have 2 mi16 gearboxes and one from a 1.6gti, and I can get a 5th from a TD box (0.66 I think)

I have two options, and was seeking info for which may be best

option 1: 1.6 gti gearbox, 4.03 final drive, with 0.76 5th from the mi

option 2: mi gearbox, 4.44 final drive, with 0.66 5th from the TD box

I fear option 2 may result in a too long 5th, and option1 may compromise diveability in intermediate gears as the car weighs around 1050kg, maybe more, considering it has original sunroof and A/C

Any thoughts?

Tom Fenton

Almost this exact question was asked very recently. Have a search of the topic, I will see if I can find it.

jackherer

I used to daily drive BX 16vs for years and I never had a problem with the RPM in fifth, if you change it you'll compromise performance which seems to defeat the object of having a 16v to me.

I think part of the problem might be that a lot of people are only familiar with low revving diesel engines (or to a lesser degree turbo petrol engines) now so an older NA petrol car that revs over 7k seems too high.

wld

I used to daily drive the car in question for about 7 years, but last time I drove it was in 2010. It seems I'm older and softer :D

It seems I'd better use some dynamat or similar soundproofing and leave the gearbox alone.

• Like 1

petert

Mi16x4 is shorter and it's a better touring car. That's all I'd swap to.

wld

0.81 instead of 0.76? I saw your post about the best combo on the other topic and I was just about to ask if the shorter 3rd and 4th (1.36 and 1.069) make a noticeable difference? Does the car feel much more lively on A/B roads? If so, I can pair the 1.6gti gearbox with the 4.43 cwp but I'll have to source a hard to find 0.81 fifth or live with the gap...

0.81 with 4.43 final drive It's probably better for 110-120km/h but on european highways we drive like lunatics and 135-140km/h is considered a moderate speed in some countries. For example, in Bulgaria, they upped the limit to 140km/h and +9km/h is still acceptable by the police, so driving almost 150 (90mph) is perfectly legal. Of course, I don't have to drive that fast, especially with a 30 yo car...

petert

Yes, 0.81. I see your point, but the gap is huge from 1.069 to 0.76. The shorter gears are much better, even with a 2L engine.