• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

IRISH_MI16

Whats involved?? 96mm dw12 crank into xu10j4 block

IRISH_MI16

As above. 

What's involved in fitting the dw12 to an xu10j4 block? 

What mods are needs etc

B1ack_Mi16

I'm not 100% sure yet myself, but it looks like it will rotate fine in there without any problems. 

I already bought the crank and some H-beam rods for my future engine block build.

I think the crank web that is replaced by the balancing shaft drive-gear possibly should be "modified" to look more like one of the other crank-webs, and then the crank should be re-balanced.

At least that is somehow in my plans for that build.

B1ack_Mi16

Some earlier discussion:

petert

What about a DW12 crank, offset to Ø48 with a 98mm stroke, a K24 rod and a 4G64 CP SC7260 87.00mm piston?

Spesh
On 8/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, petert said:

What about a DW12 crank, offset to Ø48 with a 98mm stroke, a K24 rod and a 4G64 CP SC7260 87.00mm piston?

Toying with that idea for next year, aside from the offset crank machining should that be pretty much bolt together? 

petert

I'm not sure, I just dreamt it up as it's all cheap, readily available parts. You'd need to compare the K24 big end width to the DW12 pin width. Otherwise, piston centre the rod.

Spesh

Dw12 is 24mm wide rods and the k24 are 19.8mm from what I can find

petert

You'd probably need to do this then. ie mill the inside perpendicular to the pin.

Iapel thrust washers.jpg

welshpug

or get a rod made at 24mm.

Spesh
On 7/20/2020 at 8:01 AM, petert said:

You'd probably need to do this then. ie mill the inside perpendicular to the pin.

Iapel thrust washers.jpg

Peter, couple more questions as it's running around my head still.

How much clearance did you leave and would there be any issues with spraybars providing enough oiling to the pins if they are, in effect, covered by the spacers?

petert

I can't recall exactly, but I just replicated the factory XU9J4 clearance. The pin still gets oiled via the hole in the rod etc. The spray bars are to cool the piston.

• Thanks 1

IRISH_MI16

Having revisited this idea yet again and been speaking to Vlad.

Looks like if I go down the Xu stroker route it's going to be a copy of Vlads build I think.

Gti6 block

Dw12 crank 

K24 pistons(machined top)

Either pec gti6 rods or custom( brexit has surprisingly made custom rods a more affordable option)

However I've been reading Sandys Ew thread I'm toying with that idea now. I'm not sure what one is more future proof parts wise

calvinhorse

I’d say theXU is more future proof, EW engines never took off like the XU have and people are already looking at engine conversion from other brands instead of focusing on the EWs 

thing is with an EW you’d need custom mounts, custom driveshafts, custom exhaust and custom management.. if you’ve got to do all that you may as well put a Honda engine in it with small mods that is 240 reliable horsepower all day long 

welshpug

off the shelf mounts from satchell engineering and standard driveshafts work with an ew.

IRISH_MI16

Cost wise staying xu makes sense too. I still have to source a core gti6 engine but I can still use, mounts shafts etc I have already got

petert

If cost is a consideration, just put the whole K24 engine in. It doesn’t get any cheaper than that.

IRISH_MI16
18 minutes ago, petert said:

If cost is a consideration, just put the whole K24 engine in. It doesn’t get any cheaper than that.

In Ireland a k24 is not a cheap engine unfortunately and with brexit bringing one from the UK isn't even a consideration.

If I can find a 2.2 crank and a gti6 block I can get the ball rolling 

welshpug

I dont think theres any euro hondas using a k24.

IRISH_MI16
42 minutes ago, welshpug said:

I dont think theres any euro hondas using a k24.

Not really. There's plenty of k20 and k24 engine in Ireland at the minute because jdmistro bring them in and so do icetronix. But they are upwards of 3000 euro. 

So by the time shafts etc are made and mounts its not a cheap conversion 

petert

Wow! Honda Accords have come with a K24 for a long time here. You could buy an engine for <$1000 until covid, but they're still <$2000. A quick look on Carsales (bottom of the market), reveals a manual Accord is now $4500. Up from about $3000 pre-covid. Still good value for engine and gearbox I suppose.

IRISH_MI16
18 hours ago, petert said:

Wow! Honda Accords have come with a K24 for a long time here. You could buy an engine for <$1000 until covid, but they're still <$2000. A quick look on Carsales (bottom of the market), reveals a manual Accord is now $4500. Up from about $3000 pre-covid. Still good value for engine and gearbox I suppose.

Our road tax system is why they aren't available. To tax a 2ltr for a year here is 720 euro. To take the like of a 2.4 would be around 1000 euro for the year

wladimir031

I paid k24 pistons (accord cl9) 200e in croatia ... whole bottom end about 1100-1200e with pec conrod + dw12 crank

petert
2 hours ago, wladimir031 said:

I paid k24 pistons (accord cl9) 200e in croatia ... whole bottom end about 1100-1200e with pec conrod + dw12 crank

Similar here too. I've got Wiseco 9:1 K20/K24 pistons + 162mm Argo rods + 86mm crank. It works out approx. 10:1.