• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
robdesmond

Remote control central locking wiring

robdesmond

Hello All,

I have a 1992 K reg 1.9 GTI which has the dome blipper unit in the overhead central console but no blipper. I am thinking of getting an aftermarket unit to remotely control the central locking which still works fine from the key. The blipper unit has four wires which I hoping I might be able to use but I cannot identify what/where wires 205 and 206 go. The other two are a 12v supply and earth. Can anyone tell me about these wires? The Haynes manual doesn't mention them and I don't know where else to find a definitive map.

Kind regards,

Rob

jackherer

I don't know the specifics but there is a control box under the steering column that will be where those wires are routed to.

If I had to guess I would think that the two unidentified wires are probably grounded by the plip receiver and that grounding one of them locks the doors and grounding the other one unlocks.

If no one else knows I'll see what the one in my car does when I lock and unlock it with the plip.

boldy205

You won't need the dome thing , the new alarm will just ground out the central locking to lock/unlock. Most likely from the master solenoid on drivers door. 

robdesmond

Thank you both for your replies.  I'm pretty sure I can tap into the wiring in the drivers door but I thought if I could tap into the ones in the roof console I might get a stronger signal for the remote. I did ground them both but nothing happened, but I will check under the steering column as they may have been disconnected by one of the previous 19 owners! 

Ryan

17 hours ago, jackherer said:

If I had to guess I would think that the two unidentified wires are probably grounded by the plip receiver and that grounding one of them locks the doors and grounding the other one unlocks.

This is correct. Wires 205 and 206 go down to the black unit under the steering column and if it's working properly then briefly earthing one of the wires will lock/unlock the doors.

• Like 1

jackherer

OK that makes sense, of course it would just be one wire for both actions as it is a 1 button remote.

boldy205

The signal will be sent from the new blipper/key fob to the new alarm box/receiver,  so totally bypassing the original dome receiver. Therefore the dome will have nothing to do with the signal strength. 

Edited by boldy205

Ryan
23 hours ago, jackherer said:

OK that makes sense, of course it would just be one wire for both actions as it is a 1 button remote.

One wire is lock, the other is unlock. I didn't word it very well.

2-Pugs

It is also possible to recode another pilp fob and/or receiver to a matching pair, which will work as per original, though granted, the range isn't up to much with it being infra-red.

SRDT

You can even use a smaller 106/405 remote and recode the 205 receiver.

robdesmond

Thanks all, my remote central locking is now working again. I couldn't find the relay under the dash but the clue was grounding wires 205 and 206 to control lock/unlock. I was passing 12v to them instead. I can leave the original dome in place for the factory look but it is just decoration now. The new control box aerial is also not shielded inside the door so the signal should work slightly better?

Thanks again for your suggestions, I would not be successful otherwise.

Kind regards,

Rob