• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Connor

Fume/fuel smell out of the heater

Connor

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been slowly working though my GT model 205 finding sources of fumes and it is slowly getting there, no longer does a long drive mean feeling very drowsy and having a terrible headache. 

However, I am finding that when running the heater, quite a strong fuel type smell comes into the cabin from it. This is especially true when stationary or if starting the car with the heater on. This over time does give me a headache and a sore chest. 

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Or do these old cars just generally smell a bit? 

Cheers

Connor

dcc

Probably a perished fuel pipe in engine bay

Connor
5 minutes ago, dcc said:

Probably a perished fuel pipe in engine bay

Yeah thats what i thought but there’s nothing obvious. I see there is a pipe coming off the intake manifold and through the bulkhead. There is anything I need to adjust or?

Thijs_Rallye

Check for leaks in the fuel system and breather hoses. Is it a carbed engine?

2-Pugs

Check you have the rubber seal on the underside of the bonnet, which seals against the scuttle panel where the vin is stamped.  If it is missing you will get engine bay fumes drawn in to the heater inlet

Connor
On 8/11/2019 at 10:35 PM, Thijs_Rallye said:

Check for leaks in the fuel system and breather hoses. Is it a carbed engine?

Yeah it's the XS engine! TU3S. It's strange though because there isn't really any kind of smell of fuel under the bonnet. 

Tom Fenton
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, 2-Pugs said:

Check you have the rubber seal on the underside of the bonnet, which seals against the scuttle panel where the vin is stamped.  If it is missing you will get engine bay fumes drawn in to the heater inlet

This

Connor
8 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

This

I've got it! Seems to be in decent nick aswell. The smell is actually much worse when stationary, it is literally like smelling a bowl of petrol. 

SootySport

First thing I do with an old car is change all the flexible fuel pipes.. Modern unleaded fuels degrade rubber fuel pipes and the rubber goes brittle when old.

Have a look under the rear seat where the fuel pump hides under the plastic cover, may be wet with fuel or the cover missing.

Tom Fenton
41 minutes ago, SootySport said:

First thing I do with an old car is change all the flexible fuel pipes.. Modern unleaded fuels degrade rubber fuel pipes and the rubber goes brittle when old.

Have a look under the rear seat where the fuel pump hides under the plastic cover, may be wet with fuel or the cover missing.

Backwards step on a 205. The original stuff is plastic lined and is in better condition at 25 years old than most modern stuff at 25 months old. I make a point of retaining it and reusing it whenever I can.

• Like 2

Connor
On 8/12/2019 at 10:06 AM, 2-Pugs said:

Hey, although I’ve got it I’m thinking of changing it out anyway. The carb was leaking a bit of fuel so that was sorted, however there is still quite a bit of an engine smell coming in. Do you have any idea where I could get one? I’ve had a look online but haven’t had much success. 

Cheers!

Connor
On 2/6/2020 at 11:41 AM, Connor said:

Hey, although I’ve got it I’m thinking of changing it out anyway. The carb was leaking a bit of fuel so that was sorted, however there is still quite a bit of an engine smell coming in. Do you have any idea where I could get one? I’ve had a look online but haven’t had much success. 

Cheers!

Anyone have any ideas? Or maybe an idea of someone who could make one up?

Cheers