• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AaronMountford1990

How do I remove an XUD7 engine & box? (It's an STDT)

AaronMountford1990

As titled, I'm looking to get the engine and box out of the car as it needs some welding doing in the bay, plus the wiring is all old and broken so it's going to be easier to assess things with the box and engine out of the way.

Only thing is this would be my first engine removal, so I'm just wondering if people have any experience in this and can advise the best way to do it?

Also the engines done like 183K, I was thinking whilst the engine's out it's worth sending the turbo off for maintenance? As there's zero history with the car.

welshpug

the engine doesnt hide any wiring and the XUD is particularly simple electrically, unless it really needs to come out I wouldn't bother!  making far more work for yourself.

mileage has no bearing on wear and tear of turbochargers, my mum used to run a 405 XUD9TE which was on its original (slightly tweaked) turbo at 360k miles, unless its noisy and passing oil I would leave that well alone.

• Like 1

AaronMountford1990
33 minutes ago, welshpug said:

the engine doesnt hide any wiring and the XUD is particularly simple electrically, unless it really needs to come out I wouldn't bother!  making far more work for yourself.

mileage has no bearing on wear and tear of turbochargers, my mum used to run a 405 XUD9TE which was on its original (slightly tweaked) turbo at 360k miles, unless its noisy and passing oil I would leave that well alone.

Cool I'll ignore the turbo, I assumed the seals would want doing or something like that.

Engine's got to come out because I'm having welding and spraying done in the bay, the inner wings have gone and it's having the part of the front end replaced and sprayed. Wanted to get the engine and box out as it doesn't go into gear properly and leaks fuel and oil lol.

It's something I can work on whilst the car's shell is away being repaired.

xstian

Its not difficult to remove the engine from one of these. I assume you have access to a engine hoist?

1-Drain coolant , gear oil and engine oil, remove rad and pipe work at the front of the engine.  

2-Most of the wiring loom is at the front of the engine going to starter, alternator and stop relay.

3-Remove battery and battery tray.

4-Both driveshafts have to be removed. Also remove gear linkage and exhaust. The heater matrix pipe are at the back here too.

5-Remove fuel lines and throttle linkage.

6- The engine mounts are under the battery tray, to the left of the cambelt and underneath at the back, where the driveshaft passes through.

Take it easy lifting the engine out, there is always a couple of hoses, wires that aren't always visible until the engine is raised. Its a bit tight getting the gearbox passed the inner wing, 2 pairs of hands definitely helps here.

As for the turbo, it might depend on your long term aim with the car. I rebuilt mine when I had the engine out. It looked very grotty and it felt like it had wear on the shaft, although it difficult to measure. Ultimately I planned to increase the boost so it seemed like a good idea. 

Also worth considering doing the cambelt, water pump and the clutch. I would also consider fitting a XUD9 back in rather than the XUD7

• Like 1

AaronMountford1990
On 8/9/2019 at 2:07 PM, xstian said:

Its not difficult to remove the engine from one of these. I assume you have access to a engine hoist?

1-Drain coolant , gear oil and engine oil, remove rad and pipe work at the front of the engine.  

2-Most of the wiring loom is at the front of the engine going to starter, alternator and stop relay.

3-Remove battery and battery tray.

4-Both driveshafts have to be removed. Also remove gear linkage and exhaust. The heater matrix pipe are at the back here too.

5-Remove fuel lines and throttle linkage.

6- The engine mounts are under the battery tray, to the left of the cambelt and underneath at the back, where the driveshaft passes through.

Take it easy lifting the engine out, there is always a couple of hoses, wires that aren't always visible until the engine is raised. Its a bit tight getting the gearbox passed the inner wing, 2 pairs of hands definitely helps here.

As for the turbo, it might depend on your long term aim with the car. I rebuilt mine when I had the engine out. It looked very grotty and it felt like it had wear on the shaft, although it difficult to measure. Ultimately I planned to increase the boost so it seemed like a good idea. 

Also worth considering doing the cambelt, water pump and the clutch. I would also consider fitting a XUD9 back in rather than the XUD7

Ironically the belt and WP we've already done, I was planning on just sorting the leaks and running it but now it needs welding it's worth getting it out so I can strip a few bits and replace some seals as it's not the sump or rocker gasket causing oil loss, I've also got diesel leak during running (from injectors or leak off pipe I think) and the water system ran out a while back, pipe in the drivers arch fell to pieces, so that's being replaced, just need some decent clamps to tighten it all back up.

The wiring going to the battery is fudged, no insulation left over the terminals and it's FAR to snug for my liking, so that's all coming out and either being spliced or completely replaced as at the minute it won't all fit into clamps without fraying into a horrid mess.

Clutch is going to be done whilst it's out yeah,

Steps I've done at the minute are

Coolant - left the car on it's own.

Engine oil (as above)

Gear oil, think we've done but will check

wiring is mostly undone now and stripped back

drivershafts, battery and tray are out,

Need to do gear linkeage and exhaust and heater matrix pipes

Need to do fuel lines and throttle linkage

Engine mounts are half done seen as the drivers side upper isn't actually connected (rubbers snapped in two)

Need to borrow a hoist to get it all out now!

Gonna try and save the XUD7 if i can, I'll XUD9 if it can't be saved but I wanted to keep this as original as possible. even got to try and get the plip system back into life as I brought a remote for it as it never came with one so that I can reprogram it to the existing board in the car.