• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

Any great tips and tricks for mounting the oil seal behind the flywheel?

B1ack_Mi16

The new rebuilt 205 Mi16 is having an oil leak.
Coming either from oil seal behind the flywheel or the hockey stick seals.

I need to take it apart to find out where from it really comes.

Anyway I always struggle with how to mount the oil seal behind the flywheel properly.

Do you have any good ideas how to easily fabricate a kind of tool for it?

Tom Fenton

If you are removing the main cap anyway, by far the easiest way is to slide the seal in and then bolt the cap down on top of it.

B1ack_Mi16

Yes I've actually done that before, but I thought also that could possibly score the outside of the seal a bit if unlucky?

The seal ain't supposed to bottom out afaik so that makes it a bit hard to ensure it is mounted evenly deep around the circumference.

petert

The seal always goes in last for me. I have a mandrel, which ensures the seal is sitting straight. A keen eye gets it right anyway. I use heaps of lube and use a leatherwork modelling tool (what ever works) to ease the lip over the crank.

welshpug

payen seals come with a guide piece to get the lip over the crank, just tap it firmly with a hammer working around the circumference till its flush with the outside of the block

B1ack_Mi16

Ok, I think I pushed it a bit further in than flush with the block last time.

But I actually think the hockey stick seals are the main problem.

Is it easy to identify those two leak spots from each other? I rather not do the hockey seals again if they actually are in order.

petert

There is no chance of knowing, without removing the hockey stick seals for inspection. Did you leave them long for 24 hours? And then trim them off to 2mm protrusion?

B1ack_Mi16

Yes I left them for a while, 1-2 days. Cut them protruding a bit, not exactly sure how much though. I can't remember if the cut was perfect either, but I kinda did my best.

Hopefully it is the oilseal, but I suppose I would need to inspect it all anyway to be sure as you say.

B1ack_Mi16

Ok, this is how it looked after taking flywheel off yesterday. I'm starting to think it is the front hockey-stick seal which seem to be the problem?

67982390_463636847805908_1761458343987118080_n.jpg.85f667acf3e40480ab2e2ddef40ee4bf.jpg

Anthony

Whilst I agree that the front hockey stick seal looks to be the one leaking, given the labour required to get to this point and the small cost of the seals in comparison, I'd just replace the lot to be sure.

B1ack_Mi16

It was the front hockey seal. It was torn off actually. The rear one looked fine, as did the large oil seal...