• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sorentogti

1.9 gti wont start! Help!

Sorentogti

Hi all, im new here and new to the 205 gti! Long story short ov bought a old mates 1.9 sorrento green gti thats been stood in his garage for over 10 years! 

He had lost the keys so got it recovered  mine.

It had a toad alrm on it so traced all that i could see wire wise and snipped it all out, now then it cranks it sparks theres fuel there but no coughs or splutter no nothing just winds over and over but nothing :(

all iv seen on google searches are tackymetric relay...i dont know if it would be this but gonna take the plunge and buy one off ebay and give it a go but something tells me itll ve something else as the guy i got it off had a little shunt in it then just parked it up and convieniently lost the keys over the last 10 years!

iv checked the earths on the gearbox and cleaned them up, iv checked the wire off the dizzy and wiggled it a bit to no avail, iv checked the connections on the slam pannel and pulled and pushed the connectors together, the loom has had a lot of wires jooned back together, im guessing for new connectors, there apears to have been a pipe leaking oil in the bay as everythings a bit oily and greasy.

i wiggled the connector opposite the battery and one wire came off think it was pin 6 next to the amp connection so just tempory bared it off and pushed it back in the connector.

is there a factory immobiliser or anything anyone can help with getting it going as i feel im so close! 

i heard that theres a connector under the battery trsy but am yet to find it also not taken the inlet off but ment to be some connections under that?

it tempory fires on easy start but then nothing... iv put some new plugs on it and drained old fuel out and put new in and im feeling fed up its not going! 

anyone shine a light any reccomendations or info would be very much appriciated,

many thanks in advance Matt

Leslie green

if it runs on easy start you have a spark so its possibly  fuel related , take the rubber hose of at inlet manifold and put in in a bottle and get someone to crank it over and see whats coming out if anything ! 

Sorentogti

Will do, last i checked it was wet but nothing came streaming out! Will give it a go and report back 

welshpug

it should come out at a fair rate, its a 180 lph pump from memory!

jackherer

The last 205 GTI I saw that had been sat in a garage for 10 years had damage to the fuel pump assembly due to sitting in modern fuels for a long time.

It was getting power and you could hear it trying to pump but the rubber hose on top of the pump itself had basically dissolved into the petrol so none was actually being pumped anywhere.

Sorentogti

Thanks for the replys guys, iv checked fuels coming through and your not wrong its gusshing through! So really puzzled as to whats going on and why it aint starting!? Anyone know what could be causing it? I may have to go through all the wiring and plugs and clean everyrhing up as its all a bit grimey.

I have fuel pumping, plugs sparking and cranking but no splutters no nothing... :( appreciate any help as im at a loss with it now and find myself wiggling wires and hoping for the best!

Tom Fenton

Could be sticking injectors, if you put a screwdriver to your ear on them when cranking the engine you should be able to hear them tick.

Next job if you have fuel pressure to the rail is to remove the injector rail then crank the engine over, you should see distinct bursts of fuel from each injector if they are working as they should.

Sorentogti

Rite then thatll be the next port of call, ill try the screwdriver trick, will it be a recurring tick ill be listening for? Ill give it a go then rip the rail off and see what avails once cranking.

Is it a common thing for the injectors to stick? Can they be unstuck!? Or require new injectors?

Many thanks Matt

jackherer

You can get them cleaned, do a google for ultrasonic injector cleaning in your area.

Tom Fenton
1 hour ago, Sorentogti said:

Rite then thatll be the next port of call, ill try the screwdriver trick, will it be a recurring tick ill be listening for? Ill give it a go then rip the rail off and see what avails once cranking.

Is it a common thing for the injectors to stick? Can they be unstuck!? Or require new injectors?

Many thanks Matt

I wouldn’t say it is common, but then if it’s been sat for 10yr and they haven’t worked then it’s not out of the question. Easy enough to confirm either way in any case.

Sorentogti

Thanks guys will report back thursday when i get a min to check 

Sorentogti

Rite iv revoved the bolts holding the rail in and have used my biggedt screwdriver to levy the rail out, it wobbles from side to side a bit but dosnt want to come out of its home!

Any suggedtions to hows the best way to remove it? Any lubrications required?

Many thanks Matt

Tom Fenton

The o rings that seal the injectors into the manifold both go hard and also get stuck. Get some spray down the sides but be prepared to have to change the o rings before you re fit. 

Another way is to leave the injector rail in situ and remove the inlet manifold enough to see if the injectors are doing anything.

Sorentogti

Thankyou.

So today finally got round to spannering them out, was a bit cooler which may of helped but a magic twist and spanner helped levey them out.

To my dismay only injector 4 had a glimmer of fuel puffing out and 1 tried for a bit then gave up.

Injector 2 and 3 had nothing at all coming out.

Now i know this isnt good news but im hoping to get them replaced asap along with a new dizzy and say a little prayer then will be a case of piecing the old girl back together and getting it in for mot.

Will prob just leave it to the garage to do the brakes and belts and hopefully have it out for next spring all being well.

Will report back when the new injectors are on hopefully with good news!

welshpug

if you have spark, leave the dizzy alone!

what "new" injectors are you getting?   best bet IMO is to send yours off to MrInjector for a clean.

Sorentogti

I was going to leave it alone but i spoke to the old owner the other day and he said it used to take longer to start in the wet! And if was left for a while always cranked over longer so thought its probably been on for over 15 years so thought a new one wouldnt go a miss.

Not saying this is the issue but whats the harm in having a new one on!?

As for new injectors was just gonna see if my local autospares can get me a new set?

Im new to these french cars so not sure who mrinjector is! But sounds like it may be more cost effective than buying new!? 

Is the guy on here?

Many thanks Matt

welshpug

unlikely any motorfactor can supply bosch injectors, or a new bosch dizzy.

you can replace the cap and leads though.

google mrinjector, they test and service injectors, cost about £60 all in from memory.

jackherer

I posted this link earlier in the thread:

https://www.asnu.com/service-centres

If you put your postcode in there you will find your nearest injector cleaners so you can take them there in person rather than sending them in the post.

ASNU is the company that makes the cleaning machines, anyone that has one can clean and test your injectors.

Sorentogti

Iv had a look but directs me to Australia! Ill gave a look around for local injector cleaners in my arra!

Iv messaged "mrinjector" on facebook but had no reply as yet! 

Im sure my local autospares could get me some new ones they may or may not be bosch but sure theyd be upto the job, ill check around first though and try my best to get them looked at.

Thanks again for all your help.

Will report back with progress all being well.

jackherer

Try changing 'Global' to 'UK'

34199903_Screenshot2019-08-09at09_28_14.png.1800e10efe27cf2bf2c7cf5ab0a00de7.png

jackherer

That's my local one :lol:

steve@cornwall

Seeing as the car has sat for many years I would first check that the electrical contacts on the injectors have not corroded. Swap the plug on puffing no 4 with another and see if no4 still puffs, on whichever injector is now connected to no4 lead

Sorentogti

Thanks guys! Good call on the local search!

Thats only a stone throw feom me so would be perfect.

Iv been incontact with mrinjector over on facebook but hes not responding very quickly, if i dont hear anything in the next few days ill be in contact with the leeds branch and see what they say.

As far as i know the wiring will require a good de grease all ove the wngine bay and a few bits will need tidying up.

Im fairly sure uts solely the stiixking injectors thats the issue now bit will definatly check thw contacts.

They seemes to lool alrigh upon removal but will thoroughly inspect them when reditting so thanks for that.

Just need to piece the dash back together as iv removed a bit from pulling the alarm off/fitting new ignition barrel. Probably removed 50% more bits than i should of! Then theres the task of seeing why the leccy windows arnt working, fitting door cards, servicing and fitting new wing, bumper and headlights! So the end is far away but hopong to be going in the rite direction!