• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danj.pdx

Thermostat housing and fuel pump - 1992 1.6 GTi

danj.pdx

Hello,

A couple  quick and hopefully simple questions regarding a '92 1.6 Gti.

The thermostat housing has a port on top that was covered by a rubber cap - see the image. The cap developed a crack and now leaks. I've plugged it temporarily, and looked through some of the parts suppliers and see there are several different versions of thermostat housings available. What is the function of that port that is capped, and does it make sense to replace the housing with a different version that doesn't include that extra port that had been plugged on my car?

Next, I'm suspecting the fuel pump may be weak. The motor takes a bit of cranking to start, and shows some hesitation when the fuel tank is below 1/2. I'm in the USA and want to be sure to order the correct pump and any associated parts before starting the swap. Is this the correct pump, and is there anything else I should be prepared to replace while in there?  

https://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/walbro-fuel-pump-peugeot-206-1214161819-8v-98-308-p.asp

Thanks very much in advance,

Dan.

IMG_20190729_101337.jpg

Anthony

Have you got a picture of where the blanking cap came from on the 'stat housing?

There's only a couple of places that spring to mind:

1. There's a brass takeoff that has a bleed screw and a return to the header tank.  This shouldn't be blanked but rather the pipe connects to the header tank and helps the cooling system to self-bleed.

2. Some version of the thermostat housing outlet have an additional takeoff that feeds the heat exchanger on 405's etc.  205's usually don't have this outlet as it's unused - just be warned that there's two different sizes of outlet depending on the thermostat housing, the changeover being around 1992 from memory (most 205's are the earlier smaller type)

Judging from the size of the rubber blanking cap in the picture, I'm assuming that it's the first one.