• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
humanz

1.9 8v not starting, injectors not firing

humanz

OK, my 205 has been sitting not being started or anything for a year or so. I'm trying to get it started now and it won't start. I'm getting spark, and the afm moves freely and seems normal enough. I drained the gas tank and put in fresh fuel. I cleaned the injectors out of the car and they're working fine enough. But when I engage the starting motor, the engine turns over and that's it. It sounded like it wasn't getting fuel so I got easy start and with a spray or two it runs for a couple of seconds and then dies. The pump is working: I can hear it (it's wired to run, bypassing the tachy relay). I also have a inline fuel gauge fitted and I'm getting about 40psi. I tried listening to the injectors while my son cranked the engine and heard nothing. 

With a voltmeter I'm reading 12v at both terminals of each injector connector. Is this normal? Should I disconnect all the injectors and then measure the voltage at the injectors one by one? P. S. I should also mention that I'm seeing resistances of about 16.5 across each injector. 

I'm also seeing continuity at the two terminals of the SAD, with the injectors, tps, afm and ecu unplugged. Don't know if that is supposed to happen or not. 

Thanks for any assistance you can give me. 

Edited by humanz

jackherer

When you say you cleaned the injectors and they are working have you checked to see if they are actually firing either on or off of the engine?

Take the injectors out and hold them and the fuel rail over a bucket or something then turn the engine over and look to see if any fuel is actually being injected. You should be able to hear if they are clicking or not a lot easier that way too.

12v at both terminals is normal, the injectors have a constant +12v supply on one pin and the second pin is connected to the first pin via the injectors own coil. Even if you disconnect the injector which you are testing because a 205 GTI is batch fire (meaning all of the injectors are wired together as one) you will still see +12v from the remaining 3 injectors coils. And even if you disconnect them all I think the ECU injector driver transistor may still float high between pulses.

The ECU pulses the second pin with ground/negative to fire the injectors but only briefly. A normal multimeter wont show the negative pulses, you would need an oscilloscope.

16.5 ohms or thereabouts is correct too, they are rated as 16 ohm.

All of the devices you say you're seeing continuity between all share the same +12v supply which comes from the tachymetric relay. What is the problem with your relay that has caused you to bypass the fuel pump wires? Is the relay still plugged in?

humanz

Now seeing your reply. The injectors are firing on the rail when I hold them over a bucket. The tachy relay was originally bypassed years ago when I couldn't find one. I eventually found a good one, but bypassing the tachy allows me to identify if the tachy was the problem or not. The tachy can't be connected when it is bypassed since the bypass directly connects two of the pins in the plug for the tachy to a switched 12v.

Since all of this, a mechanic suggested that I try to get the car pull started to get the pistons moving? To him it sounds like everything is working as it should but I'm not getting any compression, possibly due to stuck pistons? I will see what happens this weekend and keep you posted. Thanks for the help. 

jackherer

Stuck piston rings I guess he means?

I'd check the cambelt carefully before you do anything else, it might have slipped a few teeth.

• Like 1

boldy205

How can the piston rings be stuck if the engine turns over?! Unless all the rods are snapped :lol:

welshpug

different kind of stuck.

jackherer
58 minutes ago, boldy205 said:

How can the piston rings be stuck if the engine turns over?! Unless all the rods are snapped :lol:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=piston+rings+stuck

You'd know if the rods had snapped because you'd be able to see them through one of the windows in the block.

• Haha 1

Mac Crash

Don't EVER use

On 7/25/2019 at 7:20 PM, humanz said:

But when I engage the starting motor, the engine turns over and that's it. It sounded like it wasn't getting fuel so I got easy start and with a spray or two it runs for a couple of seconds and then dies.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me. 

Worst thing you could have done was use easy start... goodbye engine!

welshpug
1 hour ago, Mac Crash said:

Don't EVER use

Worst thing you could have done was use easy start... goodbye engine!

utter tosh, its just a flammable in a can, no worse than squirting neat petrol in there, just a bit safer :lol:   your engine was toast well before you gave it a sniff.

• Like 2