• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

PhilNW

Oil cooler or Twin Fans or Both?

PhilNW

Standard 1.9 engine targa/road rally car. Recently did a targa on a very hot day and after some of the tests engine temp seemed to be on the limit even with temp controlled single fan on full speed.

Any people's thoughts as to most effective way of keeping temp a bit lower.

Edited by PhilNW

petert

13 row oil cooler and a single fan is enough for me. The radiator needs to be completely shrouded however.

Tom Fenton

How old is the radiator, reason I ask is I’ve had issues with cars running hotter than I’d like in the past, on a couple it was the radiator furred up inside through use of hard water over the years. A new rad cures all the issues straight away. Gti standard rads are not expensive so maybe worth a try if you don’t know the history or it’s been on a long time.

I’ve also found the surface tension reducing additives definitely do help, water wetter, millers super cool, etc.

PhilNW

Rad relatively new and soft water area so don't think internal furring an issue

steve@cornwall

Could ignition timing be too advanced? Cooling system may just cope in low ambient temperature, 

Tom Fenton
43 minutes ago, steve@cornwall said:

Could ignition timing be too advanced? Cooling system may just cope in low ambient temperature, 

Advanced ignition you would hear the engine pinking it’s head off, it’s retarded timing that makes them run hot, but also makes them very sluggish. If it’s a rally car I’d hope that the timing is set up to give as much forward propulsion as possible!!

PhilNW

No problem with forward propulsion for a standard engine just thrashing it in hot weather is pushing it's limits from a heat perspective with no oil cooler and only a single fan

allanallen

Are you running an oil/coolant heat exchange? If not what oil cooler are you using if any? 

Standard cowling and fan or aftermarket? 

I’m guessing it’s got a sump guard? 

PhilNW

No oil cooler standard fan and sump guard 

Just wondering whether oil cooler and or twin fans will have best effect 

allanallen

In your scenario if you’re happy the cooling system is tip top and engine running correctly I think twin fans or a bigger rad is the way to go. 

I’m sure most would agree though that cooling isn’t normally an issue especially with a standard engine and twin fans could possibly be just masking an issue elsewhere. 

I found my oil temps were hideous with a sump guard and standard oil/air  cooler. Fitting a 13 row cooler made a huge difference. 

boldy205

I'd be looking at a oil temp gauge, see if it's that getting hot. If not then look at the airflow over the rad. 

Tom Fenton

I think I’d try the oil cooler first. It certainly can’t do any harm to a rally car being used hard. 

After that more radiator, the turbo diesel rad although hard to get hold of is significantly thicker and holds a lot more

water.