• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Biggles

TranX diff service

Biggles

Hi,

As per title - can anyone recommend someone to service / fault find a TranX diff ?

Thanks.

Tom Fenton

Quite a simple thing to be honest, the only issue I can see is where to get new plates from now, as TranX are no more. Quaife bought them out, I'm not sure if they can supply bits or not.

What is it doing/not doing?

Biggles

There seems to be a lot of free play in it - see video (the other wheel is on the ground).  Just got the car back together and was investigating the awful torque steer it has now.

Henry 1.9GTi

Can't comment on service but if you are wanting to replace the plates Quaife have supplied me with new plates and pre-load washer in the past.

Tom Fenton

Without teaching you to suck eggs is that free play definitely in the diff? Not the shaft joints?

If so, you need to get it out and in bits, that amount of free play will be something obviously worn I reckon.

Biggles

No worries - I'd rather people suggest the obvious stuff in case it wasn't obvious to me. 

There is the merest trace in the long shaft so essentially it is all in the diff.

andy0075

It is really simple to service the TranX diff. On the picture you see all parts of the diff.

Last time i bought new plates from Quaife. just change the worn parts and put it back together.

Sometimes the axles get worn and have a play in the case

Sperre_zerlegt.jpg

here is some more information :

Tran-X Peugeot BE.pdf

Edited by andy0075

Biggles

Very useful.  Thanks.

mmt

Very usefull indeed  

Hi-Jack on: 

how do one see which ramp angles is used. 

And

what is the difference between 45/45 and the 30/60 ones? 

Edited by mmt

Henry 1.9GTi

45/45 for me caused to much understeer on turn in.

30/60 reduced some understeer, worked much better and also felt better on acceleration although I did just change the plates as they were wrecked!

I believe 30 is the acceleration ramp and 60 the deceleration. a 90 deg ramp means it wont lock at all as there is no "ramp" for the pin to slide up and push the plates.

andy0075

on the PDF i sent with the last post you see the 30/60 position of the axles (the hole where the axles go through)

like Henry1.9GTI wrote :

first number : acceleration (smaller number means more lock)

second number : deceleration

45/90 will only apply lock under power

45/45 will apply similar lock under power and coasting

30/60 will lock quite a lot during power but less during coasting (i think what you want :-)

what else makes a difference is how you place the steel and fricton plates.

for trackuse : steel - friction - steel - friction - steel

for roaduse : steel - friction - friction - steel - steel (setup is less aggressiv)

nice video about LSD and how it works : VIDEO

rampangle.JPG

Edited by andy0075

Biggles

OK - how to spend a Saturday :  Decided there was enough doubt in my mind to require me to strip the diff.  The findings are :

- three pairs of plates are (in my opinion) quite pitted and / or scored

IMG-5426.jpg

IMG-5427.jpg

IMG-5429.jpg

I have a set of friction plates & belville washer and as I run lightweight spec I can swap the fixed plates around to give fresh mating surfaces.  However, I'm more concerned with the obvious wear on the ramps and pins.  All 4 ramps and both ends of both pins show wear, the photos below are the worst ramp and worst pin.  Is this normal or is there a large bill in my future ?

IMG-5435.jpg

IMG-5440.jpg

All the photos can be found at https://postimg.cc/gallery/36j2thiye/.

Edited by Biggles

andy0075

you have to replace all the plates and i would replace the two pins too if quaife can supply them.

Edited by andy0075

Tom Fenton

Everyone has their own opinion, but those plates are not bad compared to what I’ve removed before, personally I’d use those again to be honest to get my moneys worth out of them.

The wear on the pin and ramps isn’t exactly horrendous either.

However none of what is in the photos explains the backlash in your drivetrain?