• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
uxter

Anyone recognise these rear bilstein numbers?

uxter

Hello, I think my rear billies are a bit goosed on my rally car, they have quite a bit of oil gunk/misting and I have been in touch with Bilstein to try and work out what spec they are and if they are worth a rebuild, theres nothing else on them other than the stamped numbers, one of the boots has shined the label on one so anything that was written on it will be long gone similarly if I get the gunk off the other one I think it will take anything written on it with it, the number is 4501BE5 61000T9

I didnt build the car, it was built about a decade ago to challenge spec and its one of the holes in the knowledge of the bloke that built it, the fronts are coilover bilsteins with adjustable rings, the suspension needs to be tough for the Targa events I do as they are getting increasingly rough and I would rather spend more on tough stuff than keep replacing stuff!

Any info would be greatly received, the lad at Bilstein UK is on the case, but over this afternoon on the "live chat" I had him stumped so he is pushing it to more technical bods

Tom Fenton

I can tell you now that for what bilstein charge, versus what new dampers cost, it’s not economical to have them rebuilt.

I think from that part no they are 205 gravel spec gp N dampers. Probably a decent choice for what you are doing tbh.

uxter

Cheers Tom, If they charge less than £150 per unit I think I would still be ahead? Gp N gravel would fit the intentions of the original build certainly, it would be great to get a definitive answer,

I dont mind the car being gravel spec, I hit the sumpguard a couple of times last weekend on a rough tarmac farm road! The cars quick enough for me, if it goes too quick around corners my head can't keep up anymore!

Bakes100

They should have the bump and rebound stamped on them somewhere e.g. 360/250 or something similar

uxter

I was hoping they would but I also read somewhere that it may be written on the label, I may have to try cleaning them again carefully, the number already on takes up most of the bottom, unless its on the other side?

Edited by uxter

uxter

well it seems I have stumped both Bilstein UK and their motorsports division. But I did find the remnants of a label under all the crud and theres some numbers missing from where the boots have worn, but they are K4 - BE5 - 610##3? 8 or 0

God knows what the fronts are, they are coilovers but I havent found any identifiers on them yet, not sure they are Bilsteins, springs are blue!

I am sure its been set up for gravel and to be fair some of the tests I use it on are pretty rough so I am definetly not going Tarmac or any lower!

IMG_2581[1].JPG

IMG_2580[1].JPG

IMG_2543[1].JPG

allanallen

I believe they are gravel 360/250, Bilstein can confirm this if you have them rebuilt. It’s £80 +vat per damper to have them rebuilt so as mentioned already it may be more cost effective to get a fresh set and bin these. 

However if you like the rate you may have to get them rebuilt as I don’t believe they do these off the shelf anymore, be worth talking to batfink(kamracing) to see what is available.

You’d probably be looking at what’s now called the grpAs (f4-b46 2313) which are 460/250 for new ones. 

Id personally avoid the cheaper  grpN/challenge spec (f4-b46-1038) as they’re an inferior damper. 

Edited by allanallen

allanallen

With regards to the fronts, if they're Bilstein’s they’ll be 40mm dia inverted inserts. The part no. is at the top of the insert, you’ll need to remove them from the car and possibly take the top mount off to see it. 

Spring colour and diameter is nothing to go off at all as they’re easily swapped out for anything. 

02E6E530-514A-4DC3-9B8B-0DF469356EA3.jpeg

Edited by allanallen

wicked

I have these on my car; this the response of Bilstein by then (bought them second hand, hardly used)

Part number K4-BE5-61000T9 is coming up as PEUGEOT 205 RALLYE GRP.N rear dampers.

We dont have access to any information on this part unfortunately, but we have an alternative GrpN damper which is a catalogue part:

24-010382 setting is 345/207N@0.39M/s. £97 plus vat each RRP.

allanallen

The alternative they offered is grpN I mentioned above.

I’ve been all through this several times and have used most of the rear dampers in the past, from the info that’s about and from speaking to Bilstein rates are listed incorrectly in various places which adds to confusion. Plus the different part numbers they use for the same items. 

i wrote the 2313 rate incorrectly above, I’ve now edited it. 

I can’t  remember  the exact difference but I believe the grpN is a different damper to the others, possibly smaller bodied. 

I found them too soft and they went off quickly. 

calvinhorse

Buy new then sell the old ones to someone for £40 who will be more than happy with them on a road car, because knackered group Ns are still better than B4s :D 

uxter

Thanks for the input chaps, I have had zero usable response from Bilstein either in the UK or their motorsports arm in Germany who just havent replied!, have sent a message to Peugeot Sport as well, but nothing back as yet.

Given the build history of the car I was expecting them to be GpA rather than N, which makes it more cost effective to be rebuilt than purchase new, I am thinking this will now be a winters job, only one event left this year and its next weekend, on the plus side we won our first event last weekend, the Wearside Classic, I won't bore you with how long a wait that has been, suffice to say nearly as long as the age of the car!