• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

woodymi16

Choice of slicks

woodymi16

Can any one offer any preferences on what slicks they have used, size type price and supplier would be handy.

Biggles

What's the intended use ?

woodymi16
5 minutes ago, Biggles said:

What's the intended use ?

Track days

petert

Kuhmo S700 500/280R15. Useless without serious spring rates however ie 600-650lbs

Edited by petert

Tom Fenton

Best value for money are second hand ex Ginetta Michelins. Usually plenty on eBay. No point in my opinion laying out for new just to have a bit of fun on a track day. Difference compared to a semi slick is amazing, first time you try you won’t believe how much grip you have. I did 2 laps of Cadwell laughing my head off. Be warned that if you do lose grip it happens quickly and at higher speed than with a 888 or whatever.

Tom Fenton

They also don’t work from cold, you need to do at least a lap or two to get them warm before they work.

woodymi16
10 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Best value for money are second hand ex Ginetta Michelins. Usually plenty on eBay. No point in my opinion laying out for new just to have a bit of fun on a track day. Difference compared to a semi slick is amazing, first time you try you won’t believe how much grip you have. I did 2 laps of Cadwell laughing my head off. Be warned that if you do lose grip it happens quickly and at higher speed than with a 888 or whatever.

Cheers Tom, just back from Caldwell, hence now looking for some slicks

Gaz205

I've only used full slicks once on a day with loads of yellow and red flags, couldn't keep heat in them and was quite a scary experience.

I used nankang ns2r's once and they were good for the price. Federal rsr were horrendous, but in all honesty Michelin ps3+4's seem to perform just as well.

As Tom said above but semi slicks and premium are a good trade off if your track day is as t risk of lots of breaks due to incidents.

petert

Further to what the others said, a quality semi is probably a wiser choice for track days. If the weather does turn nasty, you'll find yourself in the pits, unless you also bring some wets. A good semi will still be ok in the wet and there is very little difference between an A050 and a slick. Are they available in the UK yet?

Biggles
12 hours ago, petert said:

there is very little difference between an A050 and a slick.

A050s must be absolutely awesome then. 

Would agree a good semi slick is a more versatile choice for track days unless you're prepared to invest in several compounds of slick/inter/wet.

woodymi16
20 hours ago, petert said:

Further to what the others said, a quality semi is probably a wiser choice for track days. If the weather does turn nasty, you'll find yourself in the pits, unless you also bring some wets. A good semi will still be ok in the wet and there is very little difference between an A050 and a slick. Are they available in the UK yet?

Hi Peter, I’m using A050s at the moment and have some 48 spare, both are excellent, just wanted to try some slicks on my spare set of wheels as an option.

Tom Fenton

I take a set of slicks and a set of semis to track days. If it’s really pissing it down to the point that the semi slicks are struggling I find the best approach is to hole up in the cafe drinking coffee while all the heroes crash and cause red flags.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Biggles

Sounds like a jolly sensible approach - 1st objective should always be to aim to leave the venue with the car the same shape it arrived.

• Haha 1

wicked
On 6/21/2019 at 10:13 PM, Gaz205 said:

I've only used full slicks once on a day with loads of yellow and red flags, couldn't keep heat in them and was quite a scary experience.

I used nankang ns2r's once and they were good for the price. Federal rsr were horrendous, but in all honesty Michelin ps3+4's seem to perform just as well.

As Tom said above but semi slicks and premium are a good trade off if your track day is as t risk of lots of breaks due to incidents.

On the nankang ns2r's; I found out that they are now also available at 195/45-r16. 
They are about the same price as PS3's in the same size. Which one would you pick? 

Looking for a reliable and predictable tire that is suited for the track and dry road (not a daily), but won't kill me in the wet. 

Currently running aged Pirelli Pzero Nero; nice tire, but starts to loose it quickly when they heat up.  

Gaz205

I've just used ps3's in 195/45/16 on my clio for a track day. (Dry)

I found them to be extremely good, hardly any wear (180 track miles) the side walls could do with being a tad firmer but resisted understeer very well and trAction on the odd 2nd gear exit was perfect with no slip where the ns2r span up the inside wheel.

The bonus is they are great wet road tyres too.

Giga tyres are by far the cheapest at the moment for that size @ around £82 delivered.