• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ciarankilbride

Peugeot 205 Gti T16 Me5 Gearbox Conversion

ciarankilbride

Hi,

Ive googled the s**t out of this topic but to no avail.

Does anyone know of a thread that covers the ME5 conversion in a 205 gti?

Also i read on a forum post that there is an ME5 conversion kit sold in france, does anyone know a link for this?

jackherer

Isn't the ML5 as fitted to V6 engines very similar? You might find more info about fitting them if you look at V6 transplants.

SRDT

The ME5KX from the 405 T16 is a bit shorter than the FWD ME5T from a 605 but that's not usefull to fit it inside a 205 ; you better use a regular ME5T or a ML5T.

You can also try the 6 speed ML6C but you need to tilt the engine at 18.5° instead of 30°. There is no XU bellhousing for this gearbox so you must use the DW10 one.

ciarankilbride

The ME5 i have is from a citroen XM 2.1TD, pretty sure its the same as a 605. I understand there is some cutting involved to make it fit, but i am determined!

The first problem we have come up against is that the spiggot shaft on the me5 gearbox is bigger so we need to use clutch and flywheel from the citroen. But i am not sure if this flywheel will work with the t16 crank sensor?

SRDT

The flywheel from a XUD11 won't do, you need one from a XU10J2TE or any XU bolted to a ME.

Putte205

I will continue doing this conversion myself when health is a bit better. As your me5 box is cable clutch, and use normal gear linkage there isn't "much" involved in a swap. Fitting a ml5 is basically the same but more work. Ml6 will work with the right angel, but you need the bellhousing of for example 406 turbo, for the ml6 housing.

I have a variety of flywheels so not really an issue for me, except finding a clutch strong enough. I recommend starting with the citroen petrol turbo flywheel and clutch which will bolt straight on and work well if your T16 is rather stock.

As you already worked out, some cutting will be needed. Best way is to test mount and cut as you go.

Last thing, is custom lower and gearbox mount as the placement of it isn't in the same place in Be vs me.

Of course you need lower engine mount and shortened or new driveshafts from the citroen as well, but I asume you knew this. The gear rods will probably need to be modified too

most things you will figure out as you go, not that much work but space is tight as the box is bigger. 

As for your choice of gearing...if I remember correctly, 1:st will be really short and theoretical top speed will be more than 180mp/h at 7000rpm.

My self, Im using T16 gearing but with longer 1:st

Edited by Putte205

ciarankilbride

The XM gear ratios are the same as T16 but the final drive is different but the final drive from an 806 2.0T is same final drive as t16 and is an ME5 box also, so the combination should give the exact same ratios as T16 ME5K box

ciarankilbride
On 6/20/2019 at 12:23 AM, Putte205 said:

I will continue doing this conversion myself when health is a bit better. As your me5 box is cable clutch, and use normal gear linkage there isn't "much" involved in a swap. Fitting a ml5 is basically the same but more work. Ml6 will work with the right angel, but you need the bellhousing of for example 406 turbo, for the ml6 housing.

I have a variety of flywheels so not really an issue for me, except finding a clutch strong enough. I recommend starting with the citroen petrol turbo flywheel and clutch which will bolt straight on and work well if your T16 is rather stock.

As you already worked out, some cutting will be needed. Best way is to test mount and cut as you go.

Last thing, is custom lower and gearbox mount as the placement of it isn't in the same place in Be vs me.

Of course you need lower engine mount and shortened or new driveshafts from the citroen as well, but I asume you knew this. The gear rods will probably need to be modified too

most things you will figure out as you go, not that much work but space is tight as the box is bigger. 

As for your choice of gearing...if I remember correctly, 1:st will be really short and theoretical top speed will be more than 180mp/h at 7000rpm.

My self, Im using T16 gearing but with longer 1:st

The clutch on a 206 GTI is 230mm, the flywheel although its from an EW10 engine, im told, bolts straight onto the XU block, and its also setup 60-2 so no problems there...i will confirm this info soon!

SRDT

The 206 GTI flywheel bolt on the XU but as the EW sat at 18.5° instead of 30° the TDC is offset.

You need to tweak the ecu, mod the 206 flywheel or use a (lightened) 306 HDI flywheel.

Putte205
3 hours ago, ciarankilbride said:

The XM gear ratios are the same as T16 but the final drive is different but the final drive from an 806 2.0T is same final drive as t16 and is an ME5 box also, so the combination should give the exact same ratios as T16 ME5K box

I thought 806 used ml5. But doesnt matter to me anyway, as I use xm tct gearing with xm 2,1td final drive which gives (for me) a desirable gearbox. 1st gear on T16 is far to short for my liking on fwd anyway. At least I get another 5-6km/h extra with my box. so Im happy with my longer one.

as flywheel, im sticking to xu as I have plenty of choices, T16 is bigger than 206 anyway, and xm uses about the same. No need to complicate things