• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnyma22

Front wheel bearing frustrations

johnyma22

I'm replacing the front wheel bearings on a 1.6 and to do it I press the hub off the carrier (out of the bearing) then the bearing out of the carrier. 

This leaves me with a separate bearing (new), hub (I'm replacing) and the original hub carrier (big piece of cast iron).

Next I press the new bearing into the hub carrier and include the circlip clip.  This stage is easy.

Next I press the hub into the bearing that is in the hub carrier, but wait..  If I press it all of the way in then the hub hits on the hub carrier and that means the hub won't in the carrier spin, also it means the calipers won't fit..  This doesn't feel right to me..  Surely there should be some "stop" point or way to know how far to press the hub onto the bearing.   Am I using a crappy bearing, should it have a stop??  Am I using the wrong hub, should the hub have some form of lip that stops it being pressed too far into the bearing?

Basically anyone else that's been in this boat before that can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.  I expect I'm being proper dumb and missing something really obvious but I'm really not sure what I could be missing..

Edited by johnyma22

johnyma22

This was the eBay item I used (Hub and Bearing) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264137208012

Note it says ABS but I'm not sure if it is/isn't ;\

Ozymandis

ABS is the brand.

Not a brand I would buy.

Either wrong parts combination or crap aftermarket bits that are wrong.

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/articles-guides/brakes-suspension-steering/205-front-hub-differences-what-brakes-fit-etc-r90/

hoodygoodwood

The 'drive hub' ( which the wheel bolts to ) should press into the bearing until it hits the shoulder of the hub , sounds like you have replaced it with a new one so it may be the wrong part . Compare it to the original and see if its different , i have never used new hubs when i have been fitting new wheel bearings i have just had the originals zinc passivate plated . The problem you now have is that you have to press the hub back out and this will force your new bearing apart and destroy it .

johnyma22

Yep it turns out mas-motorsport are supplying the incorrect hubs for 205s ;\

One in middle is the one supplied..  Side ones are original...

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-11 at 11.13.49.jpeg

Edited by johnyma22

Tom Fenton

Base model/auto vs. 1.6 GTI. If you ordered drive flanges for just a 1.6 petrol 205 in theory what they have supplied can be correct. 

johnyma22
3 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Base model/auto vs. 1.6 GTI. If you ordered drive flanges for just a 1.6 petrol 205 in theory what they have supplied can be correct. 

Ah, makes sense.  I'm looking at the 1.6 hubs on eBay and most sellers are listing the base model/auto hub ;\  Any recommended supplier?

Ozymandis

The commonest of all the 205 hubs has a lesser offset, and is used by loads of other Peugeot/Citroens, unfortunately You need the rarest of all 205 Peugeot /Citroen hubs,  the 205 1.6GTI unusual offset.

The previous link tells all.

Get some more bearings and re-use your old hubs.

Do yourself a favour get a better brand of bearing.

Edited by Ozymandis

johnyma22

Despite Mas Motorsport agreeing they supplied the wrong part they are unwilling to refund or return because the parts are "used".

Due to this poor customer service I would strongly recommend people avoid mas-motorstore / Masteda if possible.

My bad though, I should have got the calipers on the parts and not trusted the suppliers that they supplied the correct part.

Tom Fenton

The hub in that picture has been beaten to death with a hammer, you can’t honestly expect them to take that back? 

• Like 1

Ozymandis

If you specifically asked whether these fitted your particular car, eg Reg No,  VIN . Then they made a mistake.

As to them accepting returns on the smashed up remains, come on Lad be reasonable.

A life lesson perhaps?  Always compare the new and old parts, never throw old parts away until confirmation that the new are identical, or interchangeable.

Anyway move on dont be bitter, sh it happens.

At least You now know how to change the bearings this time around.

If you want new 1.6GTI hub drive flanges then I suggest ringing Spoox and asking them.

Whats up with Your old ones?

farmer

New Peugeot ones are £175 each and no longer supplied

A few about but pricey 

welshpug

even if the drive flange was incorrect, and a base model one, it should still turn just fine as the bearing and hub carrier are the same, only difference is the disc height.