• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atreides

Fitting 306 front B4’s - ARB tabs an issue??

Atreides

I’m looking to order a set of the 306 B4 front shocks (as part of the kamracing ‘fast road’ setup they sell), but I’m a bit concerned about the position of the ARB tabs on the shock body? 

Is anyone who has fitted these able to tell me whether I will need to make a spacer of some sort, or will the drop links still bolt up without an issue?

Tom Fenton

Personally I don’t like this idea of fitting the 306 dampers to a 205. They don’t fit properly with respect to the drop links or brake hoses and imo it’s a bodge.

Bakes100

I'm in agreement with Tom, I had 306 struts on mine and wasn't happy with the fitting.

The drop link was VERY close to the strut when winding on the lock and you have to invent some kind of brake hose bracket.

I'm now running B6 front Bilsteins, they are a much better option if you can afford the extra outlay.

Atreides

I'd love to be able to go with the B6's but the jump in cost is just too big, so it looks like I'll go with the 205 specific B4's for the front then.

Now to decide whether to go with standard 205 rear dampers, or the Xsara ones...what are the general thoughts on this? Will this unbalance the car to a degree, or is the firmer rear end a noticeable advantage?

xstian

I fitted the 306 dampers to my van. The drop link is very close to the strut at full lock, but doesn't touch. I figgered I would only be use full lock when parking so can't see it being an issue. Of course the B6 are going to be better but sometimes it just comes down to what you are prepared to pay.

Mine is a non GTi shell, so I had to cut the flexi hose bracket off the shell and re-weld it in another position.

I'm not sure what improvement they have given, I swap to a GTi subframe at the same time.

MrAndy

I'm thinking the same things here..

I actually allready bought the B4's for 306, but not yet installed them.

How bad is the situation with the clearances (with the drop-link?) and other things?

I don't want to try them on, because if I don't like them, I will get a better price from them, if they have not been tested and I can sell them in NIB-condition.

At the moment also thinking the options between 205-B4, 205-B6, 205-Group-N...

Is there anybody who has the 306-B4 setup installed into 205 and is happy with the setup??

-A-

acox99

I have them fitted and I had a machine shop turn me up some spacers (20mm from memory) to allow me to realign the drop link so it works vertically. I’ve had no issues with anything touching or binding and I cable tied the brake flexi in the original position on the damper unit. It’s been like it 5 years and I’m perfectly happy. Like you I couldn’t afford B6’s but wanted something slightly stiffer than standard. 

acox99

I have them fitted and I had a machine shop turn me up some spacers (20mm from memory) to allow me to realign the drop link so it works vertically. I’ve had no issues with anything touching or binding and I cable tied the brake flexi in the original position on the damper unit. It’s been like it 5 years and I’m perfectly happy. Like you I couldn’t afford B6’s but wanted something slightly stiffer than standard. 

45D561CC-B6E2-4AC7-81A5-E6858E902493.jpeg

6D24FF02-B27A-42E5-8DD2-3FF4AD313FAD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

MrAndy

Thanks for good pictures. They show very clearly how to clear the problem with the clearance.

-A-

Porter87
On 6/14/2019 at 9:20 PM, acox99 said:

45D561CC-B6E2-4AC7-81A5-E6858E902493.jpeg

6D24FF02-B27A-42E5-8DD2-3FF4AD313FAD.jpeg

How did you bolt these up? Did you need a longer thread to pass through the spacer? Thanks 

Edited by Porter87

acox99

It’s a threaded female to male spacer. I had a machine shop where I work so they knocked it up. From memory I cut the thread down on the drop link to allow it to thread all the way into the spacer. 

Porter87
On 6/24/2019 at 9:41 AM, acox99 said:

It’s a threaded female to male spacer. I had a machine shop where I work so they knocked it up. From memory I cut the thread down on the drop link to allow it to thread all the way into the spacer. 

Ah brill, thanks